Discuss Positioning of Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pmjones79

Hello all,
I have been asked to rewire a 1960's style dorma bungalow.
The electric meter is located in an IP rated lockable box in a single skin garage built onto the side of the house. The meter tails then go off down the garage and through the wall (over 3 metres) into the master bedroom that is back to back with the garage.
I have been told that the garage has to come down in the future because it is single skin.
I wanted to know where I should locate the consumer unit.
If I go back to back with the electric meter the consumer unit would be in the master bedroom but high up on the wall, well over 1200mm, almost on the coving.
Please help me position this awkward little blighter.
Thank you

high up on the wall, well over 1200mm, almost on the coving.

Look on the bright side,perhaps with a bit of playing about you can get it right up to the coving
:cool3:

As you've been asked to rewire it, I'm assuming that you have already quoted for the job and had that quote accepted. What have you planned to do?
It's not uncommon to have CU's in bedrooms, with a cupboard built around.

Welcome to the Forum. On a rewire, the location of the CU is not subject to Building Regs as on a new build. As has been said, locate it where it makes the job do-able and meets the customer's expectations where possible.

Regards

Thank you all for the replies.
The customer wants the consumer unit up out of the way but I was concerned because this job will be my NICEIC assessment and I wanted everything to be right.
I have never been assessed before and I am quite nervous about it.
Thanks again.

The customer wants the consumer unit up out of the way but I was concerned because this job will be my NICEIC assessment and I wanted everything to be right.
Thanks again.

You a DI bud? Do you mind If I ask what quals you have in order to gain access.. As for worying.. As long as there aint anything that is serious non comnplinace. NO RCD etc or live cables then youll be fine bud

I am a qualified spark, believe it or not. I have always worked for a firm and have just gone it alone and want to do everything right.

Just remember...they want you to pass, and will give you every opportunity to show your competence.

Thanks again.

As well as having nice biscuits, make sure you brush on the regs regarding heights, so when the NICEIC man says its too high, you can state why it can be where you've put it.

I've never had a problem myself with high level consumer units on a periodic visit by the Niceic , but because it's the Nic why not put it in the deepest corner of the loft and make the inspector crawl on his chest to reach it , make him earn his money!!!

you'll be fine mate, as peeps say they want your custom so there not as bad as you probably think, you'd have to look pretty incompetent not to pass.

i wouldnt mount it in the eves though as the pair of you are gonna have to crawl in and do some testing more than likely! he he

just make sure your up to speed on basic regs stuff that any spark would know anyway and have got all the necessary paperwork on show

good luck

aye....best bit is he wont be able to spend it
no one accepts £50s now do they...lol...

I had to buy a CH programmer at a well-known plumbing centre a couple of weeks ago, and paid for it with a couple of 50's. Guy didn't bat an eye, so I can only assume it's the normal currency for heating engineers. :)

Reply to Positioning of Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock