Discuss Powerline Adaptor and power bands in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just been looking into powerline adaptors and just wondering how they work. I read that they operate on far higher frequencies to mains power, but if that's the case why don't you have to separate band 1 and 2 like in other applications?

Just hoping to find out the reasons

Cheers Lads

There are two aspects to separating the different bands of cables. One is to prevent mains voltages from getting into telecomms / data circuits in the event of damage; this can be overridden if the data cables are insulated sufficiently for the highest voltage present. E.g. although a bell circuit might use 12V itself, if it is wired in a mains-rated cable there's another layer of adequate insulation between its conductors and the mains conductors and they can run together. Obviously this aspect doesn't apply to the powerline data adaptor because it doesn't have a cable of its own.

The second aspect is preventing interference. Data and comms interfaces are designed to be as resistant to incoming interference as possible, so that fields surrounding the cables don't disrupt the signal. But, where power and data run very close together, the field strengths can be high and some interference is likely. However, the signal encoding and modulation system used in the powerline adaptor is designed to work in an extremely electrically noisy environment, not just being near to mains cables but actually superimposed on the mains. So, it doesn't benefit from segregation because there's nothing worse to segregate it from.

They are a fudge, and will never offer the data performance of a dedicated data link. They do the best they can with the available connectivity, by sacrificing performance for interference-proofing.

As above, powerline adaptors are a disaster and should only ever be considered as an absolute last resort! They often give of substantial RF interference too.

There are two aspects to separating the different bands of cables. One is to prevent mains voltages from getting into telecomms / data circuits in the event of damage; this can be overridden if the data cables are insulated sufficiently for the highest voltage present. E.g. although a bell circuit might use 12V itself, if it is wired in a mains-rated cable there's another layer of adequate insulation between its conductors and the mains conductors and they can run together. Obviously this aspect doesn't apply to the powerline data adaptor because it doesn't have a cable of its own.

The second aspect is preventing interference. Data and comms interfaces are designed to be as resistant to incoming interference as possible, so that fields surrounding the cables don't disrupt the signal. But, where power and data run very close together, the field strengths can be high and some interference is likely. However, the signal encoding and modulation system used in the powerline adaptor is designed to work in an extremely electrically noisy environment, not just being near to mains cables but actually superimposed on the mains. So, it doesn't benefit from segregation because there's nothing worse to segregate it from.

They are a fudge, and will never offer the data performance of a dedicated data link. They do the best they can with the available connectivity, by sacrificing performance for interference-proofing.
Cheers man, knew there had to be a catch!

I have used them in the past when absolutely no other solution.
generaly if they do work then 5 to 10% of the quoted speed seems normal.

Reply to Powerline Adaptor and power bands in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net