Discuss Powerline adaptors or range extenders? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mhar

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Working on a very long property with thick stone walls so when away from the router and phone base station, both phone and wi-fi is poor to non-existent, it is even problematic on rooms adjoining where the router is
I have a tplink powerline adaptor which I happily use at home. I have also provided cat5 cable to enable the connection of range extenders.
Is there such a device which combines the two? I send the data stream around the mains cabling and plug in range extenders which then transmit? Or would I have to plug in a tp link at each point I wanted a range extender and connect to this with an ethernet cable from each tp link in which case would I be better off hardwiring in cat 5 from the hub? If hard wiring in cat 5 can I daisy chain?
The solution for the phone appears to be a 'long range cordless repeater bundle', unless anybody informs me otherwise!
Many thanks for any (simple) responses

TP link and the style will give you range extender as a internet switch(1 in 4 Out) at the same time giving you wifi from that spot. This combines the two so ideal but you can just have a switch as an extender with 1 in and 4 or more out. Well worth it if you are in the or position to run some cat 5 or 6 whilst the floors are up.

Single cat 5 or 6 to each piece of equipment - no daisy chains - Data don't like it!

Many thanks for the reply.
Currently they are using 1 port on the hub for a tp link (for catchup tv) leaving 3 spare. I will require two or three range extenders. Your reply implies that I will be best off to run lengths of cat 5 to each point where a range extender is required (all runs will be external) as opposed to using 3 tp links to provide the datafor the extenders?

You can take 3, cat 5 or 6, in different directions and have a TP link on each end of these singles, giving you the new wifi from that link + 4 more hard wire ports or more extension points. If going external cat 5 or 6 is available for that application. It's worth the extra work involved to create a reliable and fast install and future proofs in a way because you'll just change the equipment as time goes by. Invest in quality Cat cable.

If you already have a pair of powerline adaptors in place, just add the TPlink wifi ones as they should simply add on - you won't then use up the CAT5 ports on the hub.

I have 2 wifi extenders and 4 powerline adaptors in our place all happily co-existing - and for behind the TV I have a pair of adaptors with 2 ports each for all the devices.

BUT the only thing they don't like is RCD's or RCBO's - they will slow down the "claimed" performance a lot! My father in laws house has 2 separate CU's, both on the same phase, both with up front RCD's and I've been unable to get them working consistently across the 2 CU's

My reading of the tp link wifi repeaters is that they receive the wifi signal via their antenna and then amplify and re-transmit, relying on the quality of signal received over the air, as opposed to data pumped round the fixed wiring. Am I wrong?

They receive via the cat 5/6, pass it along via the switch hardwired AND they greate a wifi signal from that spot. Off the top of my head I am talking about the TL WR 842 and similar 300mbps but more up to dates are available and work the same.

The repeaters are the small plug ins which work ok in their own right but for your solution you'll probably need to run some hard wires

Reply to Powerline adaptors or range extenders? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net