Discuss Pre payment meter for landlords product search??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

Hi all your favourite poster again. So asked to supply four/five pre-payment meters for landlord in revamp from bedsits to four flats. Large building. So far looked at JSG products which involve a card with various values charged up by the JSG for £5-10-20-50, sell them to the tenants and return for recharge. Sounds a bit too complex to me. Also any tenant can remove that meter and put a quarterly meter in as a right. Any ideas on products or solutions? Forget about money meters that is not going to work.

if the flats' supply is coming from the landlord's supply, then the tenants can't have quarterly credit meters installed unless they have a separate supply from DNO/supplier. don't think tenants would want to pay for that.

if the flats' supply is coming from the landlord's supply, then the tenants can't have quarterly credit meters installed unless they have a separate supply from DNO/supplier. don't think tenants would want to pay for that.
small world this is , just a couple of hours ago when to see a new client about sorting the meters out in some flats on coin meters ground floor flat and up stairs , sub meters ,gas board are going to change sub meters says the customer .me dont think so .

Landlord is paying for all the work and whatever it takes to achieve it. Three phase supply in basement. One phase to grd flr office on a plastic DB with mixed MCB 16a for lighting 45a for sockets another phase to three phase MEM cab via a 3p isolator. So plan to balance out the phases and use all three up to distribution via a metered supply to each flat (x4) and the office, then up to each flat/office with 2/4 way CU at each flat/office. Although I think the energy supplier will have to supply the meters actually the landlord wants his own pre-payment which I am not sure is a viable idea. Background; it is all bedsits and the tenants use electric heaters which they leave on 24/7 and even go away for weeks and leave on causing an £8k electricity bill which the landlord wants to move away from. I will be saving him at least 10k a year if I get it right, which I will by the way.

which I am not sure is a viable idea. Background; it is all bedsits and the tenants use electric heaters which they leave on 24/7 and even go away for weeks and leave on causing an £8k electricity bill which the landlord wants to move away from. I will be saving him at least 10k a year if I get it right, which I will by the way.
sub metering too each flat is going to be a night mare ,but in each flat can be done ,but if the suppliers meter will be on the ground floor .or am i reading this write .me put in card metrers .

There’s no reason why the suppliers can’t install separate meters for each flat.
Either have all the meters in the basement, or wherever the supply enters the building, or extend the tails to each flat and have the meters installed in the flats.

I have seen these in a some flats/bedsits recently. Can fit them and its all smart metered, apparently tenants goes online, tops up and its available instantly via built in sim card. Its cashless and cardless. So little chance of fraud.
If you can split out each bedsit on to its own small board then putting a meter on the submain or tails should be easier.

EDIT i just had a read and you can get add ons which meter the gas and water too. They clip on the pipes it seems, the electricmeter talks to them and credit comes off meter for gaa, water etc.could be a good option. Landlord covers all utilities.

Can't go for credit or money meters. They already have enough problems with tenants bypassing meters in various dangerous ways. So I bring the three phase supply up to the next floor and from there key meter through switched fuse up to each flat in swa to cu 3/4 way. I looked at the meters you talk of buzz again they are the same kerfuffle as the ones at JSG. Sending off cards for recharging and the cost of buying them as well as the logistics of selling or collecting cards money sounds like a long term hassle. Better to get the energy supplier to fit key meters then no hassle for the landlord and massively reduced costs. £71 per batch of cards, 115 for the meters x 5 plus the initial investment of charging 250 cards and collecting the money and banking it. That is the kind of thing that makes me lose the will to live. You are looking at an outlay of 1k for mats plus labour of £350(?) and all the future hassle, surely not, there has to be a better way.

Reply to Pre payment meter for landlords product search??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock