Discuss Preferred Method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I wanted to ask peoples opinion on a particular scenario,

Scenario 1
200A Supply into a busbar chamber, this supplies numerous distribution boards but someone has wired a 6mm cable into the busbar which feeds a 20A fused isolator, so potentially you could only draw 20A through the 6mm

Scenario 2
Similarly 100A supply with a 16mm cable which supplies a 63A fused isolator, so the maximum draw is 63A

Scenario 3
32A BS60898 with a 2.5mm cable supplying 1 x switched fused spur, maximum draw is the BS1361 fuse in the spur

Would you have anything wrong with any of the above?

Divided opinions between on our firm

Depends on length of run really as well as the fact that Zs permitted values still need to be met ..haven't enough info for any of the scenario's to be conclusive but all could theoretically comply to regulations.

Depends on length of run really as well as the fact that Zs permitted values still need to be met ..haven't enough info for any of the scenario's to be conclusive but all could theoretically comply to regulations.

Well the 32A Zs was too high so it has to be changed and the length of run was 20m max, cable launched above ceiling in armour flex

200A supply on 16mm SWA limited to 63A load, length of run 35m cable tied down a riser, no idea on Zs as unable to test but would presume with the armour and the Zs would be fine

Assuming that in 1 it is the usual arrangement if a busbar with steel trunking for the outgoing cables and the switchfuse attached to that then I see no issue
Assuming that in 2 this is a switchfuses located at the origin with short 16mm tails feeding it then I see no issue
3 however sounds a bit dodgy, if it's a spur from a ring then it'll be ok, but a 2.5mm radial fed via a 32A mcb is unlikely to be ok

Well the 32A Zs was too high so it has to be changed and the length of run was 20m max, cable launched above ceiling in armour flex

200A supply on 16mm SWA limited to 63A load, length of run 35m cable tied down a riser, no idea on Zs as unable to test but would presume with the armour and the Zs would be fine

In which case I would say both are unacceptable
When you say armourflex what exactly do you you mean?

I doubt it will meet Zs values TBH ...you have the cable length and size so it should be too hard to calculate the Zs ...unless you mean 100amp supply as in your original post?

SY cable, to be honest I thought that was mainly used as control wires not final circuits...

I thought that might be it.
It should be restricted to control circuits or similar where emc shielding is required. But it is increasingly being used for general installation work which is not right

Quick google offers mixed opinions on this, could you expand as to why its not right in your opinion?

The braid does not meet the requirements of an earthed metal sheath/screen in terms of resistance to penetration and it's ability to carry fault current in the case of such a fault.
The sheath is not mechanically strong or resistant to abrasion or other damage.
With specific regards to outdoor installations it is not UV stable or particularly water resistant as you can see once water has got in and green stuff starts to grow under the clear sheath.
Manufacturers data sheets often include words to the effect of 'light duty control and signalling cable not suitable for connection to the public mains supply'

There is another problem which is not the fault of the cable, but another sign of the incompetence of many people claiming to be electricians these days. The cable is often not terminated correctly with the screen often remaining unearthed

And of course I always seem to catch my fingers on the sharp ends of the braid on the rare occasions I work with it

SY is a screened control/power cable and it been sold by the wholesalers as a rough service flex which it definately is not, the outer clear sheath does not possess the durability for the enviroments that its been repeatedly put into, its not suitable for outdoors either as its not UV resistant. Many use it as a power flex for 1ph and 3ph extensions where its under constant reeling and unreeling.. the screening and clear sheath suffer and breakdown when this is done and often the screening is not earthed leaving a potential death-trap waiting to happen.. I remove all such cables I see out of service and over the years have found 2 laid across the floor with live braiding because of metal pins or shards had pierced the cable..

Wholesalers are not competent Electricians and it not their job to tell you the limitations of the cable.. its your job to find out before you ever use such a cable.

We are going off topic here but because the OP's is involved in this conversation I'll let him take it back on topic when he feels the need to.

Last edited:
And of course I always seem to catch my fingers on the sharp ends of the braid on the rare occasions I work with it

Haha, in this instance the braid was not earthed, its a 2.5mm connected to a C32A BS 60898 and enters equipment via a TRS stuffing gland, but the internal cpc was used on the plus side

Haha, in this instance the braid was not earthed, its a 2.5mm connected to a C32A BS 60898 and enters equipment via a TRS stuffing gland, but the internal cpc was used on the plus side

That's another point, the braid is not suitable to be used as a cpc

I don't see anything wrong with using sy in certain situations. If the conductors are adequate to carry the current, if the braid is earthed, if the cpc is one of the cores and not the braid itself, if it is installed indoors or away from UV Rays. The braid can just offer a little more protection rather than using T&E , so for some commercial installations it is fine.

I don't see anything wrong with using sy in certain situations. If the conductors are adequate to carry the current, if the braid is earthed, if the cpc is one of the cores and not the braid itself, if it is installed indoors or away from UV Rays. The braid can just offer a little more protection rather than using T&E , so for some commercial installations it is fine.

The braid does not offer mechanical protection, NYYJ type cable or H07-RNF if flex is required offer far better mechanical protection
The only advantage with SY is the increased emc shielding which is required in control circuits etc

Reply to Preferred Method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock