Discuss Price guide ... ?? Am I pricing too high in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey guys ... I've been pricing a couple of jobs lately .. and keep getting a generic "well have a think over the weekend" reply

Please send me your thoughts and pricing for this particular job ...

Garden Room first fix only
5 double Sockets (1 external)
6 down lights
4 soffit lights
1 2way 2 gang light switch ..

I'll keep my price quiet for now .. please price as you would your own jobs ..

Needs more information, how much work is involved in getting supplies to the garden room? Is this an existing room or a newly built room.

If it's easy it could be done in a day, but if you've got a full day of moving furniture and lifting floors to run cables back to a CU then it's a very different price

The whole job 1st & 2nd fix would be about a 800£ , all good quality fittings etc

so as above somewhere in the 350£ ball park for just 1st fix

Somewhere around the £350 mark then
I priced £285 so I'm well in the range ... Thanks for your help ..
[automerge]1592981661[/automerge]
The whole job 1st & 2nd fix would be about a 800£ , all good quality fittings etc

so as above somewhere in the 350£ ball park for just 1st fix
I quoted £285 for first fix ... So I'm well in range .. thanks for your help ..

No such thing as the wrong price, just the wrong customers ;)

I must say it's an odd one to be asked to price for first fix only for such a job.

No such thing as the wrong price, just the wrong customers ;)

I must say it's an odd one to be asked to price for first fix only for such a job.
Had a few like that of late, generally very competent diyers, who are happy to put the socket fronts on...

Yes, long as I’ve run the cables in, tested em beforehand so I know what’s what, normally its small kitchen that needs tiling etc, doesn’t save em any money really it some people are weird ?
Odd indeed. I usually get it the other way round. They've done first fix and want me to finish the job. That's always a no.

Odd indeed. I usually get it the other way round. They've done first fix and want me to finish the job. That's always a no.
Yeah same here mate, I’m with stroma at present and believe they allow it?....but it’s not something I want any part of ?

How do you go about testing a first fix?
I just IR the cables make sure everything is all good, quick check on continuity across all three cores,just in case some donut damages it and tries to deny it, it’s only something I’ve come against on 2 occasions now,
[automerge]1593014712[/automerge]
I just IR the cables make sure everything is all good, quick check on continuity across all three cores,just in case some donut damages it and tries to deny it, it’s only something I’ve come against on 2 occasions now,
I should add that I still go back for final tests so I’ve no idea why they want to install the sockets.....nothing like people is there ?

Last edited:
More and more people want to supply their own fittings and accessories etc And even fit them in some cases..
i recently ran cables in for 2 kitchen pendants over a table , I priced The whole job to include going back and fit the lights once the customer hand purchased them. Took half the money 1st fix and was going to get the rest on 2nd fix.
i rang them About 2 weeks after I put the cables in to see if they were ready with the new lights.
they had already brought them and the homeowner had fitted the, themselves.
should I have charged more for the 1st fix....? Probably had I known I wasn’t getting the other half of the job

thoughts ??

More and more people want to supply their own fittings and accessories etc And even fit them in some cases..
i recently ran cables in for 2 kitchen pendants over a table , I priced The whole job to include going back and fit the lights once the customer hand purchased them. Took half the money 1st fix and was going to get the rest on 2nd fix.
i rang them About 2 weeks after I put the cables in to see if they were ready with the new lights.
they had already brought them and the homeowner had fitted the, themselves.
should I have charged more for the 1st fix....? Probably had I known I wasn’t getting the other half of the job

thoughts ??
In that instance I’d still want paying....was it discussed prior?

In that instance I’d still want paying....was it discussed prior?

sort of , we agreed X to run in cables & and X to return and put up the lights...
no big deal but I would have / should have charged More to run in the cables had I known I wouldn’t be fitting the lights

Reply to Price guide ... ?? Am I pricing too high in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock