uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Price Per Point in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Been asked off a builder to give a price per point.
Sockets, lights, spots, showers, fans, alarms, the lot.

Where do i begin??

Also i think there going to use these prices on different houses if they decide to use me so i would not see the jobs first.

I like to view then price but need to give them something.

Thank you.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
S

sparks1973

up to you....whatever you want to make off the job...plus materials....

I give a price assuming all circuits worked on comply, earthing is current etc and add mats and labour for what i think.
90% need upgrading somewhere so you earn on the extras, thats ho most builders operate on their pricing so no different for us.

I never quote on price per point, there are too many variables. If it was for so many sockets in an RFC then maybe, but not for all you have listed.
You need to know how many levels there are, how much cable you will need, what spec the accessories are, etc, etc.

Ask them how they would price for putting in 10 windows without knowing the size or where they need fixing :)

D

Dave 85

Im generally doing £55 per socket/spur/downlighter at the moment, £120ish for switch and a pendant, £70 for a smoko, £80ish for a cooker circuit etc etc. This is on the basis that I havn't got time to do every job I quote so am happy to lose a few. Also I would charge more if it was a small (<£300) job or it was far away or looked like a right mutha....

i=p/u

-
Arms
aye to many variables , once you get the spec of the first house and the others are similar then maybe...

cbw

-
Thing is if I spend 3 hours working out a posh 6 bed hi spec new build it nearly always comes out at about £50.00 per point!!!!

And then I look at doing a 2 bed victorian and low and behold.................£50.00 per point near as damn it!!!!!!

I still spend ages working them out acurately and then double check it at the £50.00

M

MarkieSparkie

Been asked off a builder to give a price per point.
Sockets, lights, spots, showers, fans, alarms, the lot...
Thank you.
This is a common builder ploy to try and get a cheaper overall price. If you entertain this ruse, ensure you set your price per point high enough that you still make a profit. Factor in a margin for the inevitable difficult situations or a contingency clause in your terms and conditions.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
I guess you builder is going to quote his customer how much it will cost to build their extension including plumber, electrics etc. That's what people want to know. As others have said you'll have to factor you estimate to allow for variables, or just tell him the price is for simple standard fare, anything over and above will alter your estimate.

your right midwest what ive found in the past once youve told builder price per point it allows the builder to put a couple of quid per point for himself

L

Lucas

We charge £45 a point, £120 for extractors and about £80 for cooker's. To me It is the simpliest way and we have never been out of pocket by pricing a job like that

lucas its a simple way of pricing as well ive not been out of pocket pricing it that way but i have lost a few jobs doing it that way people saying i was t o dear

M

MKS

Once did a ppp for a builder friend unbeknownst to me he asked another company to beat it! Lesson learned, dusted down and moved on! Just one of those things that might and could happen :)

You'll also need to check what style of fittings they want. The price for Tradeline sockets is massively different than say Chrome Hamilton ones.
Also Spots vary from one style to the next as do extractors etc..

Check what they want as your quote/estimate may have different products than that of another spark.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you everyone. Big help.

Going to sit down on this lovely day and get it priced :)

Im generally doing £55 per socket/spur/downlighter at the moment, £120ish for switch and a pendant, £70 for a smoko, £80ish for a cooker circuit etc etc. This is on the basis that I havn't got time to do every job I quote so am happy to lose a few. Also I would charge more if it was a small (<£300) job or it was far away or looked like a right mutha....
This is maybe an extremely stupid question, but with your point prices as stated, does that include the materials money or is that additional. Please don't laugh. Haha.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
This is maybe an extremely stupid question, but with your point prices as stated, does that include the materials money or is that additional. Please don't laugh. Haha.
as a rule, it would include basic plastic accessories. e.g. sockets @£3 each.if client wants metal/chrome etc. add cost to price.

M

Megavolt

One thing that's truly sadening. These prices are from 2012 and if anything now in 2016 I'm struggling to get these prices.

I haven't increased my hourly rate since 2012, and with most people in the general population now on minimum wage, it's hard for everyone. So much for wages increasing in Britain... Can only think that it's public sector the Government is talking about.

happyhippydad

-
Arms
Esteemed
I haven't increased my hourly rate since 2012, and with most people in the general population now on minimum wage, it's hard for everyone. So much for wages increasing in Britain... Can only think that it's public sector the Government is talking about.
Nice to see you back Guitarist. It's been a while :)

Times are hard for the average folk, so they tend to shop around more and more these days. There are so many people out there doing "foreigners" and working for cash whilst claiming, the genuine tradesman is getting priced out the market. There are a few people that appreciate a good tradesman and are willing to pay the proper rate for peace of mind. But more and more folk are cutting corners or taking chances. Unfortunately it starts with the government and lack of sound legislation and then ripples all the way back to us the average folk who suffer the consequences.

richy3333

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
An old thread resurrected.
I always price per point on new builds and rewires. I don't have time to do it any other way when you factor in potentially not getting the job. Site visit, discuss with potential customer and then price per point adjusting figures if necessary. They get a list of what's included - basic fans etc and if they want better/different, prices are adjusted accordingly. I completed 9 rewires on that basis last year of the 10 I priced for. The one I lost, I didn't want anyway as I'd already sussed the customer was going to be difficult. He was and it took the local 'jack of all trades' 4 times longer to do the job than he thought it would.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I try not to get too involved with discussions these days as I find that it's mainly other trades trying to find out how to do electrical work. There's so much on youtube now, and a lot of it is dangerous.

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Price Per Point in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom