Discuss Price Per Point in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Been asked off a builder to give a price per point.
Sockets, lights, spots, showers, fans, alarms, the lot.

Where do i begin??

Also i think there going to use these prices on different houses if they decide to use me so i would not see the jobs first.

I like to view then price but need to give them something.

Thank you.

I give a price assuming all circuits worked on comply, earthing is current etc and add mats and labour for what i think.
90% need upgrading somewhere so you earn on the extras, thats ho most builders operate on their pricing so no different for us.

I never quote on price per point, there are too many variables. If it was for so many sockets in an RFC then maybe, but not for all you have listed.
You need to know how many levels there are, how much cable you will need, what spec the accessories are, etc, etc.

Ask them how they would price for putting in 10 windows without knowing the size or where they need fixing :)

Im generally doing £55 per socket/spur/downlighter at the moment, £120ish for switch and a pendant, £70 for a smoko, £80ish for a cooker circuit etc etc. This is on the basis that I havn't got time to do every job I quote so am happy to lose a few. Also I would charge more if it was a small (<£300) job or it was far away or looked like a right mutha....

aye to many variables , once you get the spec of the first house and the others are similar then maybe...

Thing is if I spend 3 hours working out a posh 6 bed hi spec new build it nearly always comes out at about £50.00 per point!!!!

And then I look at doing a 2 bed victorian and low and behold.................£50.00 per point near as damn it!!!!!!

I still spend ages working them out acurately and then double check it at the £50.00

Been asked off a builder to give a price per point.
Sockets, lights, spots, showers, fans, alarms, the lot...
Thank you.

This is a common builder ploy to try and get a cheaper overall price. If you entertain this ruse, ensure you set your price per point high enough that you still make a profit. Factor in a margin for the inevitable difficult situations or a contingency clause in your terms and conditions.

I guess you builder is going to quote his customer how much it will cost to build their extension including plumber, electrics etc. That's what people want to know. As others have said you'll have to factor you estimate to allow for variables, or just tell him the price is for simple standard fare, anything over and above will alter your estimate.

We charge £45 a point, £120 for extractors and about £80 for cooker's. To me It is the simpliest way and we have never been out of pocket by pricing a job like that

Once did a ppp for a builder friend unbeknownst to me he asked another company to beat it! Lesson learned, dusted down and moved on! Just one of those things that might and could happen :)

You'll also need to check what style of fittings they want. The price for Tradeline sockets is massively different than say Chrome Hamilton ones.
Also Spots vary from one style to the next as do extractors etc..

Check what they want as your quote/estimate may have different products than that of another spark.

Im generally doing £55 per socket/spur/downlighter at the moment, £120ish for switch and a pendant, £70 for a smoko, £80ish for a cooker circuit etc etc. This is on the basis that I havn't got time to do every job I quote so am happy to lose a few. Also I would charge more if it was a small (<£300) job or it was far away or looked like a right mutha....

This is maybe an extremely stupid question, but with your point prices as stated, does that include the materials money or is that additional. Please don't laugh. Haha.

This is maybe an extremely stupid question, but with your point prices as stated, does that include the materials money or is that additional. Please don't laugh. Haha.
as a rule, it would include basic plastic accessories. e.g. sockets @£3 each.if client wants metal/chrome etc. add cost to price.

Reply to Price Per Point in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock