Discuss Price war ponderings in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Patman

-
Reaction score
Here's a thought worth pondering. We hear alot about pricing wars regarding costs per item for PAT.

How do the low cost (75p/item) operators pitch themselves so low? They always state "prices from", we all know what that means and they then have a whole raft of "extras" to bump the price up.

Nothing new there then.

I was told once how a company quoted low for a local council office site, in and out quick as a flash, then presented their bill. When methods were questioned, answer was "quote stated visuals only". What use is that. As we know COP refers to Inspection and Test, with formal inspections only, carried out where appropriate.

My point is, surely PAT without the "testing" is not PAT, therefore to advertise and give the impression a PAT service is being provided, must be contrary to trade descriptions.

We had a group of night clubs we tested every year unitl they were quoted ÂŁ 1.00 per item , 12 months later we were asked to reinstate the contract ÂŁ 300.00 per day (8 hours) it seems cheap aint best!

Yep I can agree with some of these comments although remember there is 2 ways to look at this these 75p companies are not employing electricians they are paying minimum wage with people who think they are getting on the first step of the ladder to being an electrician.

I have just paid the following
ÂŁ475 for a Kewtech PAT tester
ÂŁ35 for the IET book
ÂŁ200 for a City & Guilds night school course
ÂŁ50 for company logo labels
ÂŁ35 for a microwave tester

Now I have no problem with this as this is the way the industry is going ie you must have the latest certificates and equipment but the problem is we as a trade are doing a bad job of informing the customer for eample I have had my equipment for 4 months and not a bean until recently because I was getting calls from potential customers who would say "HOW MUCH I can get this done for 70p an item" Well I said if you have 500 + items you will get it for 70p plus it will not be an electrician who does the test and you should ask if they are qualified and is it C&G or an in house yes Joe Soap can do a PAT test certificate. A lot of customers are unaware of this.

So yes we are going to get these companies who squeeze their staff to make big bucks and are ltd status so when the heat is turned up the just wind it up and start again with another name.

The way I tackle this is to give a quality service ie labels, paperwork and even throw in a free microwave test and label and I have to accept that I will get people or companies who phone up and try it on in my veiw but I cannot drop my prices or I will be doing it for less than sparks rate and if I did that then the equipment gets sold and the service is no longer offered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add to the above I did a job today and a customer was quizing me on PAT testing as her sons mate got trained up in it and is now dowing it full time but he is very bored and fed up with it and I confirmed that you do not need to be an electrician to PAT test plus no doubt he was getting paid minimum wage I also asked why he did not try and train upas an electrician and the reply was he is just like a lot of youths today want to moan about it but will do nothing about it

Seem to be going off thread here - I was really refering to the practice of "doing visuals only" - the rest is covered by a multitude of other threads and is often repeated.

Yep I can agree with some of these comments...

I have just paid the following
ÂŁ475 for a Kewtech PAT tester
ÂŁ35 for the IET book
ÂŁ200 for a City & Guilds night school course
ÂŁ50 for company logo labels
ÂŁ35 for a microwave tester

What about public and products liability together with professional indemnity insurances, bank charges. Then thers's all the adaptors (3 phase, 110v, commando, US/Euro and IEC). Telelephone and advertising charges etc. etc. Good job its all tax allowable.

Firm i work for do little pat testing but subby out the hotel jobs IMO Stuff doing PAT and only PAT all day every day that realy would do my nut right in specialy hotels tv kettle heater every room 500 room hotel STUFF that !!!!!

I posted this 3 weeks ago..... punishment yeah right !!

"Only when you make it so - or don't do it right.

Anyway - off to the Caribbean for a two week cruise with P & O tomorrow - if thats what "boring" gets you, then bring it on !! "

I posted this 3 weeks ago..... punishment yeah right !!

"Only when you make it so - or don't do it right.

Anyway - off to the Caribbean for a two week cruise with P & O tomorrow - if thats what "boring" gets you, then bring it on !! "

I am doing it not to get bored but to add a service and to suppliment my business do I want to do it day in day out well when there is bills to pay and I get offered 3 PAT tests on a dark cold rainy day then I will not be to proud to accept.

Also mind carry your lifebelt with you at all times and if the captain is Spanish abandon ship (before he does)

Reply to Price war ponderings in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net