Discuss Probably will be a daft question, but being an oldie I'll ask it anyway in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What constitutes an "Approved Electrician "these days? when I was working it meant you had at least the C&Gs B certificate, 27 years old+ with a certain amount of years experience.
Is it something to do with being an Approved contractor?

I dont think there is such a thing these days, from the councils and building controls point of view it will be part of a part p scheme such as niceic Di. but ask certsure and they will tell you the ac scheme is the be all and end all and is a sign of quality.... i will stop now as im laughing writing that...

I dont think there is such a thing these days, from the councils and building controls point of view it will be part of a part p scheme such as niceic Di. but ask certsure and they will tell you the ac scheme is the be all and end all and is a sign of quality.... i will stop now as im laughing writing that...
Not laughing at the question, I hope?

Thanks that answers my question, but makes me think there are some folk using the "Approved" bit as in the Approved Contractor mode, judging from some of the questions asked.

two different meanings you could become an approved contractor with out being qualified to become an approved electrician.

I'm not sure about this deal that the NICEIC have with the JIB now though.
If you are an NICEIC member (which requires little training)
I believe you can bypass all the whole NVQ, AM2, 2391 and apply for your gold card after you have had a few satisfactory inspections..

Not sure you can get the JIB "approved grading " but a gold card none the less..
Maybe someone else can clarify, kinda makes a bit of a mockery of it though.

As stated Approved Electrician is a long-standing JIB grade.
Agrre, but how doyou cater for, Sole Traders and companies that do not, or rather are not affiliated to the JIB, I still think some people see Approved Electrician for many means an Approved contractor.

I think a lot of people do Pete..
I often see full scope NICEIC contractors (mainly) in my area calling themselves NICEIC Approved electrican.
I think my website says I'm approved by NAPIT when really it should say endorsed, (need to get the wife to change it).

I'm a sole trader now and the Joe public have no idea what approved electrician means either, Im sure. I advertise myself as an Approved electrician in hope that a potential customer might know what it means but I think I'm going to change it to say JIB graded "Approved electrician"

I Just changed my profile page too. :)

Last edited:
Agrre, but how doyou cater for, Sole Traders and companies that do not, or rather are not affiliated to the JIB, I still think some people see Approved Electrician for many means an Approved contractor.
JIB grading has nothing to do with whether you work for a JIB company or not. It just means that you are not bound by the JIB National Working Rules if not a JIB company, so JIB rates etc. wouldn't apply. Doesn't stop you being graded though.

You could actually make any name up TBF and any letters and I would bet the customer wouldnt know any different.

Most of them will be more interested on the price then whether they are approved/JIB qualified.

When I had my shed done a couple of year back my questions were what is the price and can you sign the work off afterwards.

I often see full scope NICEIC contractors (mainly) in my area calling themselves NICEIC Approved electrican.
I think my website says I'm approved by NAPIT when really it should say endorsed, (need to get the wife to change it).

I'm a sole trader now and the Joe public have no idea what approved electrician means either, Im sure. I advertise myself as an Approved electrician in hope that a potential customer might know what it means but I think I'm going to change it to say JIB graded "Approved electrician"

Makes sense Mate avoids any misconceptions. good for you.

Makes sense Mate avoids any misconceptions. good for you.
JIB grading has nothing to do with whether you work for a JIB company or not. It just means that you are not bound by the JIB National Working Rules if not a JIB company, so JIB rates etc. wouldn't apply. Doesn't stop you being graded though.
So if you don't have to adhere to the JIB rules and Regs, how can you be JIB graded? seems a bit odd, doesn't follow any logic, how can you hold a JIB grade card?

You could actually make any name up TBF and any letters and I would bet the customer wouldnt know any different.

Most of them will be more interested on the price then whether they are approved/JIB qualified.

When I had my shed done a couple of year back my questions were what is the price and can you sign the work off afterwards.

The grade reflects your qualifications and experience.
Although, you no longer have to be graded to hold a gold card.
Just goes to show how far down the slippery road to ruin this trade of ours has slipped.

Reply to Probably will be a daft question, but being an oldie I'll ask it anyway in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net