Discuss problem increase amps cooling tower in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
we have a little problem at the fan cooling tower system,a story is;
after complate instaled and start up we setting 18.5 amps in blade angel 20' at 2 month ago
and than stop running for 2 month,
while start again after two month stop the amps increase till 28.1 amps.
the motor to fan conneted with 6 belt.

why it's happen.

problem increase amps cooling tower IMG-20190715-WA0016 - EletriciansForums.net

problem increase amps cooling tower 20190715_093442 - EletriciansForums.net

I would be checking the following

Phase voltages when running, a drop in voltage will cause an increase in amps

Check amps are the same across all phases

Check for any physical resistance to movement, I.e bearings etc.

Any significant changes to duct work could increase the power required to push the air through the system.

If it is controlled by a variable speed drive, has the set speed been changed?

So has it been sat stationary for 2 months?

Any maintenance been done? Bearings greased etc..

Temperature of the air, humidity all play a big part with fan use. Although I imagine it's not much cooler now in Indonesia than it was 2 months ago. Colder air is denser so requires more power moving it.

You also appear to be measuring the current at the main panel intake. Has there been something additional installed within this 2 month shutdown? OR something running from that panel that wasn't before.

The current has increased by 52%, and if the supply is 400V and the voltage hasn't changed there is an extra 6.6 kVA going somewhere. If cause by bearing friction I think it would have made itself obvious after a run.

I would start by eliminating extra loads connected to the panel. Why are you not measuring at the motor terminals? Is this the same point that was measured when the plant was commissioned? Did you check all three voltages then and now? If all the voltages are correct and the three winding resistances are equal, I would be looking for what has been changed without you knowing. Blade angle, missing baffles etc.

I would be checking the following

Phase voltages when running, a drop in voltage will cause an increase in amps

Check amps are the same across all phases

Check for any physical resistance to movement, I.e bearings etc.

Any significant changes to duct work could increase the power required to push the air through the system.

If it is controlled by a variable speed drive, has the set speed been changed?

thanks for the respect for that.
we faund the some rust at bearing and rotor, if we change the speed or enggel blade that will be lessthan air flow the system under normaly becouse cooling capacity droped..

So has it been sat stationary for 2 months?

Any maintenance been done? Bearings greased etc..

Temperature of the air, humidity all play a big part with fan use. Although I imagine it's not much cooler now in Indonesia than it was 2 months ago. Colder air is denser so requires more power moving it.

You also appear to be measuring the current at the main panel intake. Has there been something additional installed within this 2 month shutdown? OR something running from that panel that wasn't before.

thanks for respect.
this only single panel for the 3 fan and power source directly from LVMDP,

but this area heavy rain a few month ago,
after recheck we faund some rust at the bearing and rotor,
greasing is inject type we can't open bearing seal.
The current has increased by 52%, and if the supply is 400V and the voltage hasn't changed there is an extra 6.6 kVA going somewhere. If cause by bearing friction I think it would have made itself obvious after a run.

I would start by eliminating extra loads connected to the panel. Why are you not measuring at the motor terminals? Is this the same point that was measured when the plant was commissioned? Did you check all three voltages then and now? If all the voltages are correct and the three winding resistances are equal, I would be looking for what has been changed without you knowing. Blade angle, missing baffles etc.

thanks,
yeah we faund some rust at the bearing and rotor,
this used a single panel for 3 fan and three voltage is normaly at 400v rate. we can't change blade be couse will be droped air flow and system unstabil.

Maybe when you first measured the current the voltage was a little on the high side. now it's back down to normal or even on the low side.

Did you check all the usual suspects like over tightened belts, over-greased bearings becoming hydraulically locked? Also the usual electrical suspects like phase voltages, phase current balance, operation of star delta starter if there is one?

As already mentioned, if it's an increase in the mechanical load that's caused a 50% increase in run current then something is going to get very hot and very quickly so it shouldn't be difficult to locate the problem?

*Edit* Don't worry about gloves and Hi-viz safety stuff, if you're in Asia or Africa you're exempt from having to wear them :cool:

Last edited:

Reply to problem increase amps cooling tower in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock