Discuss Problem with downlight in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Ive been to a job recently where I had 1 downlight at the end of a circuit start flickering several hours after its been turned on. It had a loose cable which I tightened and it worked fine for another few hours then started again. this time I checked the wiring to the other downlights. Didnt find anything wrong but it did work fine when I put it all together and re energised.

Several hours after I left it started again.

Ive check every light on the circuit. no problems, no sign of damage. have re energised and working fine again. been on for a couple of hours now.

IR test fine
r1 - rn = 0.87
1.5mm t and e.
Downlights have been incorporated into existing lighting circuit. several branches off the existing circuit each with 3 or 4 downlights on
total load of circuit 2.3a 6a type b mcb, rcd protection

Any ideas anyone?

Ive been to a job recently where I had 1 downlight at the end of a circuit start flickering several hours after its been turned on. It had a loose cable which I tightened and it worked fine for another few hours then started again. this time I checked the wiring to the other downlights. Didnt find anything wrong but it did work fine when I put it all together and re energised.

Several hours after I left it started again.

Ive check every light on the circuit. no problems, no sign of damage. have re energised and working fine again. been on for a couple of hours now.

IR test fine
r1 - rn = 0.87
1.5mm t and e.
Downlights have been incorporated into existing lighting circuit. several branches off the existing circuit each with 3 or 4 downlights on
total load of circuit 2.3a 6a type b mcb, rcd protection

Any ideas anyone?
Defective fitting

Sounds like you have resolved it the first fitting must have been getting a poor contact when it warmed up.

Sounds like you have resolved it the first fitting must have been getting a poor contact when it warmed up.
It happened again after i replaced it on my second visit. Im on my third visit now. same as before. cant find any faults and after disconnecting and reconnecting for testing its working fine. Im dreading getting another call about it tonight after I leave.

I know you say it is 230v but is the lamp 230v and not through a transformer.

If it's an LED lamp is it dodgy? Seen it happen a few times makes it look like a loose connection but the lamp is just bad

the lamps been changed several times before i got there. Its always the same fitting and after being messed with it works for a few hours then starts flickering again. they are GU10s . the make is LAP. today i swapped the lamp with another from the light next to it and the fault moved too. but weve tried that before and after a few hours same thing happens always on the same fitting which is the last on that branch of the lighting circuit. Ive changed the fitting and the lamp before.

Ive been through the whole circuit today, removed all lamps, dropped all fittings checked every light on the circuit, meggered and tested cables.. All fine. Its my bosses house and hes getting a bit p%£@d off with it.

Hes not called me yet so Im hoping this time ive cracked but I still dont know whats causing the fault

rhese problema always arise for eithrer,

1.poor connrctons
2.crap foittings.

and xcuze the pore spell.ibin onbeer.

Reply to Problem with downlight in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock