Discuss Problems with bathroom lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

StephenM

Hi guys, I'm not really certain if this is where I should be posting issues with my electrics or not, so apoligies in advance if I have got the wrong place.

Also, please bear in mind I have almost no knowledge of electrical wiring so if I omit some details, please be patient with me!

I've got a rather bizarre problem in my rented accommodation with the electrics. Here are some examples:

• My telephone line has been poor quality since day one;
  • My internet connection drops repeatedly during the day;
  • My internet connection NEARLY always drops whenever the bathroom lights are switched on. This is an immediate disconnection. The connection is able to reconnect almost straight away. The power socket for the router is in a room adjacent to the bathroom and approx. 6-9 inches from the partition wall between the room and the bathroom;
  • I have four spotlights in the bathroom, two of which always blow within days (the same two spotlights), often minutes, of fitting replacement bulbs (the bulbs are 12V 50W spotlights with a GU5.3 fitting);
I've lived in this accommodation for around 2 1/2 years. The problems with the spotlights started over a year ago. The problem with the internet started around 6-9 months ago. The phone line has always been bad.

I'm thinking that the problem with the telephone line is related to the problem with the bathroom.

Before I call my landlord and ask him to get an electrician in, is there anything I should know or try?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Hi and welcome to the forum mate:DJust call the landlord and get him to get a spark to check the wiring.Have you spoke to BT about the poor line or your service provider.I cant see the electrics in the house interfering with the phone line

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I'm not really certain if this is where I should be posting issues with my electrics or not, so apoligies in advance if I have got the wrong place.

Also, please bear in mind I have almost no knowledge of electrical wiring so if I omit some details, please be patient with me!

I've got a rather bizarre problem in my rented accommodation with the electrics. Here are some examples:

• My telephone line has been poor quality since day one;
  • My internet connection drops repeatedly during the day;
  • My internet connection NEARLY always drops whenever the bathroom lights are switched on. This is an immediate disconnection. The connection is able to reconnect almost straight away. The power socket for the router is in a room adjacent to the bathroom and approx. 6-9 inches from the partition wall between the room and the bathroom;
  • I have four spotlights in the bathroom, two of which always blow within days (the same two spotlights), often minutes, of fitting replacement bulbs (the bulbs are 12V 50W spotlights with a GU5.3 fitting);
I've lived in this accommodation for around 2 1/2 years. The problems with the spotlights started over a year ago. The problem with the internet started around 6-9 months ago. The phone line has always been bad.

I'm thinking that the problem with the telephone line is related to the problem with the bathroom.

Before I call my landlord and ask him to get an electrician in, is there anything I should know or try?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Hi Steve,

This is only a guess so....

The phone line dropping could be badly routed cables ie, if the bathroom light cables are run close to the phone line cable then there could be interference/voltage appearing when the lights are switched on.

Cheap supermarket lamps never last long so its best to go for branded if you arent already, plus, if you touch the spotlight lamps when you replace them this will shorten the life of the lamp due to the oils on your skin being transferred.

As Mac said, you need to contact your landlord, so that he can instruct an electrician to come and have a look.

Reply to Problems with bathroom lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net