Discuss Programmer live in and live out reversed in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

xnescx

-
Reaction score
hey, I’m a gas safe plumber and today I came across a programmer wired backwards basically, the live in and live out mixed up yet the boiler was still functioning without issue, calling for heat as should.

Anyone care to educate me on the issue with the above or does it not really matter?

So normally open and normally closed switch wires where mixed up,

L and N feed was correct, just the switch wires not, I went to replace the programmer for a more user friendly one for my customer hence noticing

No way how did that happen ,are you saying the neutral was in the line and the line was in the neutral reversed polarity.
So normally open and normally closed switch wires where mixed up,

L and N feed was correct, just the switch wires not, I went to replace the programmer for a more user friendly one for my customer hence noticing

think OP means that S/L was in C and L in N/O, instead of tother way round.

Hi - the N is connected to Earth at the supply transformer and the house copper pipework is also bonded to the house's main earth terminal. So any reversals of L and N within the boiler, programmer or zone valves would normally result in it not working, perhaps with a bang. If I've understood correctly, since it was working, the system was likely configured as "volt free" like the diagram, where it's job is to provide a time/temperature controlled connection across the boiler start terminals (B and A here).

Programmer live in and live out reversed IMG_1276 - EletriciansForums.net

So in effect,not wired to conventional pattern,but no risk or harm done. :rolleyes:
This would depend on the type of C -N/O-N/C switching fitted,where if there were any additions,such as tell-tale LED's,or other feature,the position of the L and S/L would be crucial.

Last edited:

Reply to Programmer live in and live out reversed in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock