Discuss Proving unit on assesment? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

swaley

-
Reaction score
Hi guys just wondered how strict assessors are on the use of proving units. I'd rather save the £60 but if need be will purchase one. Anyone recently had assesment with stroma who didn't use one?? Thanks

Not sure of the ruling on this one Mate, if I was an assessor I would say a "Proving unit" is a must, this may cause an argument with some members I'm sure, why do I say a PU is a must? because you will always have a known supply to prove your voltage indicator.
I'm sure people will say you can always use the incommerto do this, what you do after the assessment is down to you and your work ethics, but for anassessment you couldn't be faulted for having one, if you can borrow one for the assessment all well and good, but for thr price you quote, imo it's better to be safe than sorry, I'll post this and wait for the multitude of people saying I'm wrong. Good luck for your assessment.

I do my assessment with Stroma. Never used a proving unit just use a known live source. More to the point you do have a locking off kit, labels etc?

I've never been aked for one, 12 years with the NIC and the last 3 years with Napit. Had my asessment on Thursday, never asked for a proving unit or to see my lock off kit.

I've never been aked for one, 12 years with the NIC and the last 3 years with Napit. Had my asessment on Thursday, never asked for a proving unit or to see my lock off kit.
Just goes to show,doesn't it?

I've never understood why the Fluke one is double the price of the two pole tester! The T110 always seems good value but the PRV240 comparatively rather expensive, for what's in it.

I scarcely ever get mine out, there's nearly always a live source.
It's a Martindale one, and every time I do get it out, I'm reminded that it's really only capable of "proving" it's own inadequate design. - It can push about 3 mA, hence manages just 60 Volts into my Dilog Voltage indicator which has 18K input impedance. - Some sort of proof I guess.

It's an odd world.
You see the authorities laying down the rules and saying you need to do this, you need that.
But then, those same governing bodies never test to see if the rules are being obeyed.
So it's no surprise to see that people who have other peoples lives in their hands also don't see if the rules are being obeyed.
It's an odd world.

I cant see anything wrong with using a known live source. Stroma have always been happy with that (or rather each of the different assessors who come out from Stroma as they all have different ideas).

However, I bought a proving unit simply because sometimes it's a pain to find a live source, which means you may be inclined just to use the tester without first checking on a live source if you are tired, stressed etc. This way I can always have a quick check easily. Plus, it can be a bit stressful with the assessor there, so its good to make things a simple as possible. I think they are worth the buy.

Reply to Proving unit on assesment? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock