Discuss Qualification Vs Career guidance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gakure

-
Reaction score
Hi all, a few months ago, I asked on advice on the best route for a career change from Electrical Engineer to an Electrician. I was advised to take some course and since then I have achieved the following certificates (see below) but I have little practical experience.
However, I am lucky to have walked in a site near me and the electrician agreed to take me on to help on 1st fixing as trainee.
I come again to you guys to advice on the best direction to start putting meals on table while gaining experience.
-If I am going to register for JIB ECS card what title should I request for based on below?
-Is it worthy to start looking into competent body registration at this stage?
-I have zero tools (zero finance), what Will be the basic tools I should start looking at?
Qualifications + Certificate
  • 17th edition qualification
  • ECS certificate - no card yet
  • 2391-52 inspection and Testing
  • 2365-03 Electrical Installation level 3.
  • BEng Electrical and Electronics degree
  • Over 10 experience as engineer
  • Other CPDs like Project Management etc
Your advice are highly apprrciated as usual.

Basic tools... a selection of good quality VDE drivers, I can highly recommend the CK slims which you can get in a kit, 3 flats, 2 pozis. Get yourself a smaller one for some terminals. A decent pair of snips and I would suggest some Knipex installation pliers as they serve multiple purposes, so if you're on a tight budget they are a good choice. I have Knipex snips and installation pliers and they are the most heavily used pliers I have (I carry a selection just in case). A hammer, smallish for pinning and biggish for bashing. Spirit level, good tape measure. A decent AVI (I have a Fluke T-150 which is sweet as it will do some other stuff as well such as phase rotation - again, it can provide multiple functions which may save you some dosh).

A good quality combi drill or impact driver which ever is your preference. Good quality knife, junior hacksaw, a couple of files, possibly some modulo drivers as you're less likely to knacker the heads on MCBs etc. in consumer units. If you're going to be doing conduit/SWA glanding... a couple of pairs of pipe grips can be handy. A floor board saw if you don't fancy a circular saw. Wrecking bar. A good quality wood chisel, a couple of brick chisels (scutch and 75mm bolster - the bolster can also be handy for floorboard lifting and refitting carpets). A large screwdriver you can beat on (Stanley did a nice one with re-inforced anvil surface to hit).

Can't think of anymore things at the mo... need more beer... tidying up the garden for winter is such thirsty work :D

Basic tools... a selection of good quality VDE drivers, I can highly recommend the CK slims which you can get in a kit, 3 flats, 2 pozis. Get yourself a smaller one for some terminals. A decent pair of snips and I would suggest some Knipex installation pliers as they serve multiple purposes, so if you're on a tight budget they are a good choice. I have Knipex snips and installation pliers and they are the most heavily used pliers I have (I carry a selection just in case). A hammer, smallish for pinning and biggish for bashing. Spirit level, good tape measure. A decent AVI (I have a Fluke T-150 which is sweet as it will do some other stuff as well such as phase rotation - again, it can provide multiple functions which may save you some dosh).

A good quality combi drill or impact driver which ever is your preference. Good quality knife, junior hacksaw, a couple of files, possibly some modulo drivers as you're less likely to knacker the heads on MCBs etc. in consumer units. If you're going to be doing conduit/SWA glanding... a couple of pairs of pipe grips can be handy. A floor board saw if you don't fancy a circular saw. Wrecking bar. A good quality wood chisel, a couple of brick chisels (scutch and 75mm bolster - the bolster can also be handy for floorboard lifting and refitting carpets). A large screwdriver you can beat on (Stanley did a nice one with re-inforced anvil surface to hit).

Can't think of anymore things at the mo... need more beer... tidying up the garden for winter is such thirsty work :D
Thanks a lot sparkychick, really appreciated.

I dont see the point in you registering on a scheme yet, you have enough qualifications to join one, but would need to show some jobs you have done and have a pile of books, insurance and testing kit.

In terms of your ecs goldcard with JIB, unless i am mistaken you need to have the nvq level 3 and both 2365 L2 and L3. there might be other routes to getting this though. If you are going to go down the scheme route then its not essential.

To apply for this card you must have a UK electrotechnical Level 3 NVQ (or a formal UK electrotechnical apprenticeship).

If you are not qualified to the UK Level 3 NVQ, or cannot provide certificates to prove your qualifications, you have two options:
  • the JIB Mature Candidate Assessment helps operatives to become accredited at Level 3 standard
  • there are other ECS cards that will allow site access to carry out specific work. These cards can be upgraded to a gold card when you qualify to the industry standard.

To apply for this card you must have a UK electrotechnical Level 3 NVQ (or a formal UK electrotechnical apprenticeship).

If you are not qualified to the UK Level 3 NVQ, or cannot provide certificates to prove your qualifications, you have two options:
  • the JIB Mature Candidate Assessment helps operatives to become accredited at Level 3 standard
  • there are other ECS cards that will allow site access to carry out specific work. These cards can be upgraded to a gold card when you qualify to the industry standard.
Thanks Eliza, I am qualified to level 3 2365-03 and electrical/electronics degree in UK, am not sure if they count.
Whenever, I call JIB, I get complete answer.
At the moment to get myself upto speed am working as a trainee with domestics.

Somebody mentioned I don't need both competent person and JIB, again it was clear as mud.
Any advise which can lead me being recognise in the field will be highly appreciated.

as far as the cps's go, all you need is 17th, a core qual, load of papers e.g. PLI. rA,complaints procedure et al, oh, and enough in your bank so that a £500+ cheque don't bounce.

Reply to Qualification Vs Career guidance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net