Discuss Quality new install in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Fed up with finding rubbish like this in new builds. By a NICEIC Approved Contractor

Quality new install 1A08541C-A288-49E7-89C5-A98D51F41AF7 - EletriciansForums.net

Quality new install B882A7B9-7C56-46E2-AF2C-D45FDBFF71A8 - EletriciansForums.net

Quality new install A7AB1104-CFAB-44CE-B5A2-0B34D2CBC051 - EletriciansForums.net

Per Ardua Ad Astra. (or R.A.F.).
[automerge]1567152146[/automerge]
Quick as you can, lads. We’re on a price here.

Writing on the circuits sticker (with a sharpy) AND using the little pictures. That’s classy.

What’s a “Coker”?

usually a single edge razor blade for chopping coke blocks into powder.

Absolutely standard new build installation, on a price throw it in lash it up sod the testing

Seen stuff like this every week of the year

I dint know what’s more horrific, the state of the wiring rats nest or the fact the dumb --- left an unused mcb in the board.
I would have had that straight out and in my sky rocket...

We stopped doing new builds years ago, couldn't compete with £1375 for a 3 bed semi!

At those sort of prices you will go bust pretty quickly

There is a polish sparks near me who offers a full house rewire for £1000 all in

It’s pointless exercise even trying to compete at those rates By the Time you have purchased all branded materials there is barely a couple hundred quid left for labour

Looks like a classic case of the Boss of the company being assessed by the NICEIC and employing Dave from the pub to do the work, awful job. And he has stripped the Tand E by using the cpc to rip the sheathing away.
This is a terrible installation I agree but what's wrong with stripping T&E like that? It's the way I was told/taught to do it in college too and I always just assumed it was the norm

leaves it dog rough. best way is with an electrician's knife or these:

Quality new install 1567162277397 - EletriciansForums.net
Quality new install 1567162238254 - EletriciansForums.net
only problem with these is if boxes/enclosures already fitted, can't get close enough to the entry point.

disclaimer.... pic shows cheap set. mine are Klein, but the pic is copyright so can't paste. :p:p:p.

This is a terrible installation I agree but what's wrong with stripping T&E like that? It's the way I was told/taught to do it in college too and I always just assumed it was the norm
What Tel said
[automerge]1567164345[/automerge]
Obviously the Tutor hasn't been shown / told how to Strip T and E properly, so he/she passes on this rough method to the unsuspecting Students. Oh forgot to say I personally would NOT use a Stanley type knife, the blade is far to thin for this work, you need a decent folding knife oe one of the many fixed blade Electricians knifes of which there are many on the market CK do a decent folding knife, about a tenner I think

Last edited:
leaves it dog rough. best way is with an electrician's knife or these:

View attachment 51768View attachment 51767only problem with these is if boxes/enclosures already fitted, can't get close enough to the entry point.

disclaimer.... pic shows cheap set. mine are Klein, but the pic is copyright so can't paste. :p:p:p.

How do you this thing inside a back box?
Nothing wrong with using the earth wire to strip the sheathing. A knife will be worse as you won't be able too see if you have caused any damage to the insulation of live conductors.

How do you this thing inside a back box?
Nothing wrong with using the earth wire to strip the sheathing. A knife will be worse as you won't be able too see if you have caused any damage to the insulation of live conductors.
Cid without being rude. I totally disagree with the Statement "you wont be able to see "1f the live conductors have been damaged if you use a knife", using the cpc to strip the cable bad practice in my book and many others I would imagine. Can't have any pride in your workmanship if you leave the ends like the example shown in the OP

Last edited:

Reply to Quality new install in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock