Discuss Quarterly-6 monthly crap! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 9648

So we are 6 months in to the 18th and still every RCD test label supplied with boards/RCBO's comes with a quarterly label. 14 starbreaker RCBO's fitted today..all with quarterly labels. Shouldn't manufacturers be binning their old stickers and supplying the correct ones? I'm having to make up a '6 monthly' label on the brother printer and cut it down so it fits over the offending bit. Is anyone else bothering or just using the old?
BTW the change to 6 monthly must be one of the most pointless reg changes in a sea of pointless reg changes. (IMO)

So we are 6 months in to the 18th and still every RCD test label supplied with boards/RCBO's comes with a quarterly label. 14 starbreaker RCBO's fitted today..all with quarterly labels. Shouldn't manufacturers be binning their old stickers and supplying the correct ones? I'm having to make up a '6 monthly' label on the brother printer and cut it down so it fits over the offending bit. Is anyone else bothering or just using the old?
BTW the change to 6 monthly must be one of the most pointless reg changes in a sea of pointless reg changes. (IMO)

you can put a sticker on that says test every 5 years, it will not be adhered to.

you can put a sticker on that says test every 5 minutes, it will not be adhered to.

you can put a sticker on that says stick finger up bum whilst pressing this button, it will not be adhered to.

these stickers are a CYA for manufacturers and the people writing the regs.

IN MY HUMBLE OPPINION!!

Just using the old ones myself. As I see it a quarterly test label goes above and beyond the current requirements so is still compliant.
Might do the same.....trouble is the tick box on NIC certs clearly states 6 monthly label applied....only a teeny-weeny white lie I suppose.
Tell you what though, it was a nightmare getting 14 labels on that crabtree board as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
who f88King reads them any why ,drag the customer by the scruff of the neck to the consumer unit read this .
Customer the other day didn’t even know where they unit was....let alone what was written on it!

Customer the other day didn’t even know where they unit was....let alone what was written on it!

I had this a few months ago

Friend of my parents wanted a few extra sockets in their lounge.
So as you do I went round to take a quick look.
One of the first things I do is ask to see the consumers unit.

Lady stared blankly at me for a good 45-50seconds , she said and I quote ‘ I don’t think we have one of those’ o_O

I then spend the next 10 minutes trying to find it , eventually I found the old 3036 board in the down starts toilet completely boxed and in along with the soil waste pipe directly behind the loo.:confused:
I only found it because the meter box on the outside was roughly 3 feet away on the outside wall.

The lady was shocked as had never seen it before In the 30 years they had lived in the house

I had this a few months ago

Friend of my parents wanted a few extra sockets in their lounge.
So as you do I went round to take a quick look.
One of the first things I do is ask to see the consumers unit.

Lady stared blankly at me for a good 45-50seconds , she said and I quote ‘ I don’t think we have one of those’ o_O

I then spend the next 10 minutes trying to find it , eventually I found the old 3036 board in the down starts toilet completely boxed and in along with the soil waste pipe directly behind the loo.:confused:
I only found it because the meter box on the outside was roughly 3 feet away on the outside wall.

The lady was shocked as had never seen it before In the 30 years they had lived in the house
Good job it didn’t need stickers mate :)

Servicing opportunity - for just £19.99 a month I will attend the installation and provide required testing :)

Kinda like the tree surgeons you pay twice a year to pop round and top off the trees and hedges

Last edited:
It's frightening the amount of tenants who can't tell me where the DB is.

Regarding the rcd testing i had an interesting one the other week.
Went to do an eicr turning the power off flicked the mcbs off then pushed the test button on the rcd ....no luck....turned it off and on manually a few times then joy.

Test finished and one socket changed i turned the power back on only for the RCD to trip on the side that id hust changed said socket. Long story short after getting ----ed with myself it wasn't the socket but an extension lead the tenant had plugged in...earth into the neutral and vice versa. Obviously it had never tripped before as it was stuck and needless to say i didnt bother asking if he'd checked it ever...let alone quarterly or 6 monthly

I think a reg that needs removing is the need for the dual colour warning label

A waste of time, materials and a pointless box to tick,

Even the man from the nic wasn't too fussed about them when I had him round a couple of weeks ago. I showed him 3 TP DB replacements without that sticker on them and he didnt bat an eyelid, he agreed its a fairly pointless exercise when I raised yhe subject.

No.
The Manufacturer’s Instructions in this instance over ride what BS7671 says.

Reply to Quarterly-6 monthly crap! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock