Discuss question regarding supplementary bonding. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Curious about supplementary bonding, I have these two 4mm Cables loose and not connected to anything in my parents house. I presume they are for the hot and cold copper pipes, my questions is do i need to join/make a connection between the hot and cold pipes? I work as an electrical improver working towards my am2, but my training has always been based on rcds for additional protection, not supplementary bonding, i understand these 4mm will be connected to earth somewhere, what i want to know is, if i get two bonding clamps, one for each pipe and connected between they two, would this be okay?if someone with a better understanding could explain, that would be great. The house has dual boards, only the sockets have rcd protection currently, the boards need to be upgraded, I have attached some pictures.

thanks for any answers.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2023.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 24
  • thumbnail_IMG_2024.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 25
  • thumbnail_IMG_2025.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 24
  • thumbnail_IMG_2026.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 25
Its most likely they were originally connected to the pipework with a link between both pipes too.

I'd guess that when a plumber/water-clown replaced what I'm guessing is a sink or basin they just chopped them off and left them. The push fit flexi pipes and flexi waste suggest that they weren't the best of tradespeople.

Its most likely they were originally connected to the pipework with a link between both pipes too.

I'd guess that when a plumber/water-clown replaced what I'm guessing is a sink or basin they just chopped them off and left them. The push fit flexi pipes and flexi waste suggest that they weren't the best of tradespeople.
Thanks for the reply, Ill get a couple of bonding clamps and reconnect them back up.

It’s going to be difficult getting to that one behind the drain… but you can always disconnect the drain pipe and put it back after.

Handy tip. Fit the clamps as far away from the push on fitting as you can.
The clamps can form a dimple in the pipe, and if this distorts the cut end, it can cause a leak at the fitting.

I’m just thinking. I’m no plumber, but using a bit of flexi as the trap??

It’s going to be difficult getting to that one behind the drain… but you can always disconnect the drain pipe and put it back after.

Handy tip. Fit the clamps as far away from the push on fitting as you can.
The clamps can form a dimple in the pipe, and if this distorts the cut end, it can cause a leak at the fitting.

I’m just thinking. I’m no plumber, but using a bit of flexi as the trap??
i have no idea who did the plumbing, it wasn't me. Im just checking that if i get 2 bond clamps and put one cable to each pipe and link between the 2 pipes for continuity this will be compliant.

thanks for your reply.

i have no idea who did the plumbing, it wasn't me. Im just checking that if i get 2 bond clamps and put one cable to each pipe and link between the 2 pipes for continuity this will be compliant.

thanks for your reply.
Not necessarily. If supplementary bonding is deemed to be a requirement in this situation, you have to look at the whole picture. Which is - any simultaneously accessible exposed conductive parts or extraneous conductive parts must be connected (bonded) together. This may include such items as lighting points, electric showers, fans, towel radiators etc, as well as the hot and cold pipes.
Of course, if all circuits are RCD protected, and main bonding is in place, then supplementary bonding is not needed.

in older properties, the kitchen sink was usually just bonded pipe to pipe to metal sink... It didnt come from anywhere else, so im not sure why youve got 2 cut ends there... unless its coming from a nearby boiler or water tank?. ie, within arms reach of the sink here.

Bathrooms were OTT. pipe to pipe under the bath, then onto a bath foot if it was an old cast bath. lighting point, metal radiator.. everything was connected together.

OP says only sockets are RCD protected, but if board is getting upgraded, then no supplementary bonding will be required as mentioned.

Not necessarily. If supplementary bonding is deemed to be a requirement in this situation, you have to look at the whole picture. Which is - any simultaneously accessible exposed conductive parts or extraneous conductive parts must be connected (bonded) together. This may include such items as lighting points, electric showers, fans, towel radiators etc, as well as the hot and cold pipes.
Of course, if all circuits are RCD protected, and main bonding is in place, then supplementary bonding is not needed.
the circuit is not rcd protected, just a 6amp MCB. So my understanding would be that these two pipes would have to be bonded together, one cable on each pipe with a link in-between, would I be correct in thinking that?

thanks.

the circuit is not rcd protected, just a 6amp MCB. So my understanding would be that these two pipes would have to be bonded together, one cable on each pipe with a link in-between, would I be correct in thinking that?

thanks.
As I said, if it is deemed to be a requirement, then those 2 pipes and several other items would have to be bonded together.
It would only be deemed to be a requirement in a bathroom, not a kitchen. It's not clear whether this is a bathroom or not...

If it's a kitchen (in a house), then it's never been a requirement to add supplementary bonding to a kitchen sink or it's pipework, at least as far back as the 16th edition.

As I said, if it is deemed to be a requirement, then those 2 pipes and several other items would have to be bonded together.
It would only be deemed to be a requirement in a bathroom, not a kitchen. It's not clear whether this is a bathroom or not...

If it's a kitchen (in a house), then it's never been a requirement to add supplementary bonding to a kitchen sink or it's pipework, at least as far back as the 16th edition.
Yeah, it’s in a bathroom. The two pipes are the hot and cold for the basin.

Reply to question regarding supplementary bonding. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net