Discuss questioning rcd re shower installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
just joined so first post.
Triton say their electric showers must be RCD protected. I was under the impression that manufacturers recommendations superseded electrical body's regulations but according to Elecsa's technical dept that is no longer the case. I was told that in the 18th edition the clause states that you must be aware of manufacturers recommendations. Am i missing something here or is this a step backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
regs. state that MFI should be taken into account, i.e. sometimes they are wrong. in any case, BS7671 states that all circuits ib a special location ( bath/shower room ) must be RCD protected. in this case BS7671 anf MFI instructions are in harmony.both singing the same song.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure Elesca's tech dept will be holding your hand in court should the worse happen.

as i understand it, MFI should be followed if they comply with BS7671. . if not, they should be considered. then again, I'm old school. if it can't be sorted, hit it with a hammer.

Hi all,
just joined so first post.
Triton say their electric showers must be RCD protected. I was under the impression that manufacturers recommendations superseded electrical body's regulations but according to Elecsa's technical dept that is no longer the case. I was told that in the 18th edition the clause states that you must be aware of manufacturers recommendations. Am i missing something here or is this a step backwards.
In general, manufacturers’ Instructions are to be taken into account.
However there are certain areas where the requirements are to comply with the Manufacturers’ Instructions.
Off the top of my head, any Type tested DB, some lighting installations and some medical equipment.

What is it you are doing stewie like for like replacement?

I would not want to install an electric shower without RCD protection, however if you tell the customer that it has to be installed with an RCd as per MFI and he/she is a smart arse and pulls some reg out of the air, you can look as though you're trying to stitch them over. It is a like for like replacement but even so as a professional fitting an RCD should be a matter of course.

Its all well taking manufacturers instructions into account,that is as long as a linguist with expertise in English words for Chinese and Japanese infant school interpretations is on hand

He would need to explain exactly or even in most cases give some idea of what information it is they intend to impart to the unlucky spark who initially reads the garbage

MF instructions are sometimes bizarre to say the least, I connected an oven for a family member the other day and the instructions said that this appliance must be or maybe was should be connected with a 45 amp fuse as the ocpd.
Does this mean that I can’t use an mcb rated at 32 or 40 amps as the ocpd? This is where I ignore them ha

You can show them regulations and instructions. They aren't required to listen though. If they don't want an RCD fitting you can also walk off to a better customer.

Hypothetical.

You’re asked to change a shower as old on is busted. OCPD is an mcb, no rcd. Like for like replacement? Do you fit an rcd to that circuit as per regs?

You’re asked to change a ceiling pendant. Old one is busted. OCPD is an mcb, no rcd. Like for like replacement? Do you fit an rcd as per regs?

I was going to use the “change a lightbulb” example, but the thread would just go into a bulb v lamp discussion, and we’ve covered that elsewhere a number of times.

Hypothetical.

You’re asked to change a shower as old on is busted. OCPD is an mcb, no rcd. Like for like replacement? Do you fit an rcd to that circuit as per regs?

You’re asked to change a ceiling pendant. Old one is busted. OCPD is an mcb, no rcd. Like for like replacement? Do you fit an rcd as per regs?

I was going to use the “change a lightbulb” example, but the thread would just go into a bulb v lamp discussion, and we’ve covered that elsewhere a number of times.

The manufacturer's instructions for the light fitting would not require the fitting to be RCD protected. The shower's MI would.
Being of an understanding as to the hazards present with electricity in a shower area and the regulations that deal with these hazards I would tend to follow the shower's MI.
I would not see any need to add RCD protection to a lighting circuit for a change of fitting.

The manufacturer's instructions for the light fitting would not require the fitting to be RCD protected. The shower's MI would.
Being of an understanding as to the hazards present with electricity in a shower area and the regulations that deal with these hazards I would tend to follow the shower's MI.
I would not see any need to add RCD protection to a lighting circuit for a change of fitting.

Give it time.
Im sure the MI of the shower mentions RCD protection now as it came into the regulations and the shower manufacturers followed afterwards.
Eventually, light fitting manufacturers will do the same.

Give it time.
Im sure the MI of the shower mentions RCD protection now as it came into the regulations and the shower manufacturers followed afterwards.
Eventually, light fitting manufacturers will do the same.
I won't be holding my breath on that one knowing how out of touch most manufacturers are with such matters. I'll give it a decade then check again.

Reply to questioning rcd re shower installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock