Discuss Quick Conservatory Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mchohan

Hi, I wanted to ask a question about a conservatory.

I am looking to buy a house with a conservatory. The row of houses have over-head electrical incoming supply. The conservatory was built approx 4 years ago, no documents for it.

The conservatory has a hole in the lead flashings to allow the incoming supply into the house, but the cable is completely covered with the lead flashing.

Is this safe? Would this have been approved by building regulations? Can the conservatory be taken down due to this?

Hi Westward10,
Here are 2. They are the only ones I have of the cable.

Attachments

• Cable Conservatory.pdf
    28.1 KB · Views: 56
  • cable conservatory 2.pdf
    24.3 KB · Views: 25
I agree from what I can make out,the supply is not exactly under the flashing,it seems to enter above
The chances of dismantling a structure because cables are routed through are probably close to zero in my estimation,it would be a better choice to re route cables than demolish an entire structure

I would guess that instead of doing it internally below the floorboards someone has done a bit of "rewiring" external to the building, maybe add another socket? It maybe possible to lose this conduit that passes through the flashing.

Thank so much for your comments, it helps a lot to hear another persons perspective.

Could anyone help a little more;

The conservatory has a radiator, lights and sockets so I presume the cable going into the conservatory is for the lights and the sockets. They aren't IP rated. Would this pose a problem with building regulations?

Part of the deeds is a letter of complaint from a neighbour they claim;
It obstructs an emergency access.
It has a solid base the sewage pipes need to be changed to take the load. [Is this true?]

Do you think they could make a fuss with building control? and could building control do anything about it?

The reason for asking is that, it may invalidate my mortgage if I bought the house and then part of the structure is removed.

On a side note unless your conservatory is made from steel and the size of bungalow the foundations wouldn't need to be that substantial.

As a cautionary tale, my son is having a single storey extension built (granted heavier than conservatory). During the excavation of the footings, a service water pipe was discovered. BO said go deeper, which revealed sewage pipes in another part of the footings. He's had to pay for a surveyor (£££'s) to come up with a design to spread the load across these pipes, and submit these pans to Thames Water, who charged him £670 just to have a butchers at them. They agreed they were suitable, but would not take any liability if problems occurred in the future.

The extension came to fruition, because his detached garage, suffered from subsidence, due to poor foundations and another leaking surface water pipe.

OP think wisely, and as already advised consult solicitor & surveyor.

Reply to Quick Conservatory Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock