Discuss Quick opinion on nest wiring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jwsblackburn

Hello,

I'm currently working on a new rewire, and the client decided to use a nest system after I had wired in for a basic S plan system. I've noticed the link from the box to the thermostat is 12v, however i've wired this in 1.5mm cable. I'm assuming this will be ok as in the instructions it says to use existing wiring of old thermostats if people are updating a system, which will of course be 1/1.5mm cable. Its just been playing on my mind a bit and would just like peoples opinions.

Thanks

as long as the cable is suitable for purpose, no problem.

If it's good for 240V then it's a fairly safe bet that it will be fine for 12V!

Just make sure you test it to make sure you have 12V at the base before plugging the nest on to it.

Or just hire a registered nest professional like me to do it ;)

absolutely fine mate, ive done this on all the nest installs i have done. As said test the base before clicking the rs into place or else you have a £200 paperweight!

absolutely fine mate, ive done this on all the nest installs i have done. As said test the base before clicking the rs into place or else you have a £200 paperweight!

Unless you are a nest pro installer, in which case you can buy them at an incredibly discounted rate! As a nest pro installer I can buy a nest for approximately 50p less than You can get one in screwfix! :(

Yes I am a little irritated by this let down

Unless you are a nest pro installer, in which case you can buy them at an incredibly discounted rate! As a nest pro installer I can buy a nest for approximately 50p less than You can get one in screwfix! :(

Are you surprised.... theres almost no difference between "trade" and "retail" these days...

Wait a while, and all these fancy things will come down in price. These smartphone manufacturers have got a lot to answer for. What's wrong with a mechanical time clock!

Wait a while, and all these fancy things will come down in price. These smartphone manufacturers have got a lot to answer for. What's wrong with a mechanical time clock!

Nothing at all, and I do occasionally fit mechanical type time switches and mechanical room thermostats on heating systems, generally for the older generation who don't want or need anything more.

But on the other hand the nest is a pretty good system, especially if connected to a boiler with opentherm communications.

Makes me laugh when they say pro installer, its not like its a complicated system to fit.

Makes me laugh when they say pro installer, its not like its a complicated system to fit.

Not complicated, just awkward with the smallest space they could possibly get between the terminals and the cable grips, and the poxy fixing holes being too far apart to fit a back box.

I've taken to connecting a separate core to each switch common rather than linking them as there is just no space around the terminals.

Not complicated, just awkward with the smallest space they could possibly get between the terminals and the cable grips, and the poxy fixing holes being too far apart to fit a back box.

I've taken to connecting a separate core to each switch common rather than linking them as there is just no space around the terminals.

Yes its a very bad design flaw, the way it doesn't fit onto a back box and the way the terminals are too small. Back entry is nearly impossible and the fixings are rubbish. But i do prefer it to the HIVE system.

I'm just about to get the Hive fitted with a new boiler.

Should I be buying the Nest?

Hmmmm...

In my opinion yes, the hive is a little bit behind the nest at the moment. I've found the nest easier to use plus it is all wired so no need for batteries.
In my opinion the major downfall of wireless thermostats is the fact that when the batteries go flat your house gets cold and you have no hot water.
With a nest it connects via a cable, no batteries needed.

I've got a feeling that the hive does all its communications via wifi, so the stat communicates with the receiver over wifi, which means that a wifi problem will prevent your heating working too, again the nest connects via a cable, though you do obviously loose the internet based control if you loose wifi, your heating will still follow its scheduled program

Plus buying a hive puts money in British Gas's pockets.

Nothing at all, and I do occasionally fit mechanical type time switches and mechanical room thermostats on heating systems, generally for the older generation who don't want or need anything more.

But on the other hand the nest is a pretty good system, especially if connected to a boiler with opentherm communications.
dave, I'm being a bit flippant again :)

Reply to Quick opinion on nest wiring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net