Discuss Rain water system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cj24

Hi I have got to go connect up a rain water system up yet never done this before, from what I gave seen the other day before it was installed by the plumber was some kind of pump with a plug on it then there was some kind of box with a little dist board inside and a time clock inside it, there was a flex out the top of this board and at the bottom of it was 2 compression glands as if 2 cables need to be installed to it, I have no installation instructions, has anyone ever installed one any help wud be brill

Hi I have got to go connect up a rain water system up yet never done this before, from what I gave seen the other day before it was installed by the plumber was some kind of pump with a plug on it then there was some kind of box with a little dist board inside and a time clock inside it, there was a flex out the top of this board and at the bottom of it was 2 compression glands as if 2 cables need to be installed to it, I have no installation instructions, has anyone ever installed one any help wud be brill

is it for the toilets,might be some sort of sensor cable to flush the urinals,ive seen one before but never worked on them

The ones that I have seen just require a power supply as the pump will turn on when the pressure drops, tap turned on or toilet flushed.

Hi sorry just replying been busy, to be honest I'm not 100% till get there but assuming it's for reusing the rain water for the flushing of the toilets, the bump has a plug top on it so to me obv wants plugging in but I'd have thought that was it, just not sure on the timeclock with 3core flex out of it then the fact it's got 2 compression glands on it as if another 2 flexes go into it, but not got a clue

Never wired one of these myself so the following is guess work tbh:

The pump will need some sort of sensor (guessing a pressure switch on the outgoing water flow)so it'll know when to turn on (toilet flushed,washing machine turning on, etc) which might be built into the pump itself, though i'd have thought it'd need an external pressure switch. As for the timeclock arrangement i can only think that it's for an irrigation system as having a timeclock on toilet flushing doesn't make sense.

From what little i've read there's 2 different systems for a rain water harvesting system, one using just the big tank and the other feed's a storage tank in the loft (like the old water tank system before combi boilers)....as loathed as i am to suggest it it might pay to check the Plumbers forums for more info on the systems.

We need to know the make model and exactly what sort of system it is. Just looked on Google athere are numerous types about but the one that sounds a bit like your is

Direct Pump Rainwater Harvesting

It may be worth looking at that or calling the manufacturers. The time clock may be to stop it working during the night. If they are pressure operated they can hunt on/off as the pressure drops. very annoying if you are trying to sleep.

Is there an underground tank plus a tank in the roof or just the ground floor level tank?

Hi,I have a rain water harvesting system at home.It's a 5000 litre underground tank and has a pump fitted internally with a pressure sensing switch which operates on water demand.There are lots of variations of set ups,some diagrams are available on the "rainwater harvesting" website.Most require SWA feed to tank (ducted if poss) terminated at approved enclosure mounted in neck of tank.You need specifacation of final system ideally because there can be lots of mods and add ons with these (level and pump monitoring etc) Good luck and remember,in the last 50 years they have built lots of power stations,fuel stores,gas links and roads but not many new resevoirs!

Reply to Rain water system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock