• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Rating of CU main switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Beeg

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I noticed on my consumer unit that the main switch is rated for 100Amps, however the total load of all the MCBs is over 150Amps!

I appreciate that diversity COULD (?) be applied in that not every circuit would be simultaneously running at full capacity, but is the installation acceptable or does the main switch need uprating?

Thanks
Beeg

Rating of CU main switch ED1C8D17-EE4F-47C7-ABEE-32A4AE91D77D - EletriciansForums.net

At first glance I would not worry.

If you are concerned however i would phone a electrican to come and take a look.

Diversity can be applied to almost all circuits shown in your CU.

Main thing that's bugging me is that Wylex RCD!

If you are concerned however i would phone a electrican to come and take a look.

Agree with you, it looks like the Wylex RCD is a close but not perfect fit. could be putting stress on the buss bar

Thanks DT. Can I ask why the RCD is bugging you?

was looking at a cu someone else had installed and it had a 100A main switch but maximum load of all circuits totalled just over 340A :) so i wouldnt worry too much - you're not the worst.

Also - underating is safer than over rating. it is a totally safe installation - there are not going to be safety issues because you think the supply isnt big enough...unless you're running life machines or something :)

was looking at a cu someone else had installed and it had a 100A main switch but maximum load of all circuits totalled just over 340A :) so i wouldnt worry too much - you're not the worst.

Also - underating is safer than over rating. it is a totally safe installation - there are not going to be safety issues because you think the supply isnt big enough...unless you're running life machines or something :)

hmmm, I would prefer an over rated main switch any day rather than an under rated one.

Reply to Rating of CU main switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back