Discuss Raw RS485/Modbus logs from SofarSolar and Growatt meters? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 147397

Hello everyone, thanks for this nice forum!

I'm looking for some raw logs of RS485/Modbus communications between an inverter and its smart meter for both Sofar and Growatt hardware. (The most important for me is Sofar's hardware, since I'll have access to a Growatt one in August, thus will be able to record the logs myself.)
Both 1 phase and 3 phases are of interest for me, but highest interest/priority goes to Sofar 1p and Growatt 3p.

Context:
Zero Export feature of inverters requires a meter, which may be external and/or internal according to the make. Sadly, often the resellers just sell the inverter and there is no way to get a compatible meter... Great, really, especially when you get the information late after buying the hardware that you selected especially for that feature! Yet more when the maker also is non-cooperative at all, telling me to buy some smart meter that, in the end is not compatible! No support, no reaction to mails or just some to send me to infinite loops, no matters the subsidiaries or HQ.

In the end, Growatt just uses the usual Eastron meters and Sofar uses Chint's meters. BUT, in both case they changed the firmware of the meter, so that a genuine Eastron or Chint cannot work with the inverter. (Oops, we "forgot" to mention... So sad.)

On their side, Eastron like Chint were very cooperative, and I'm happy that my money went to those companies and not Growatt. But they have no knowledge or cannot disclose the information regarding the modifications from Growatt and Sofar.
After 1 year of endless attempts with Growatt and Sofar, now I decided to hit back...

To sum up, they irritated me enough for me to write a software to bypass their smart meters and use any other make I have info for. Both Eastron and Chint are already implemented, thanks to their cooperation.
It is just RS485/Modbus, not rocket science, no room for "trade secret" there. Still, they continue to FU** us.
I just need the registers map they're using... I should be able to guess it quite easily if I can get some raw logs from a working system, preferably with matching info (amps, watts) at the same time as the logs are recorded, but it is not mandatory.
Also, since they implemented some traps, the logs should begin from the start of the inverter and then for several minutes at least. (30min would be great!)

If someone can provide me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. By me of course, but probably the many users to expect for the software tool I intent to release for free and open source in the coming months... :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Reply to Raw RS485/Modbus logs from SofarSolar and Growatt meters? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net