Discuss rcd keeps tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi there there split rcd board with rcd keeps tripping maybe once twice sometimes 3 times a day turned the washing machine on tripped straight away got rid got another’s one now it’s tripping jus now and then

as soon as the washing machine is turned on it was tripping the rcd so we got rid of that the rcd still trips now it can trip up to 3 times a day at various points of the day what is on the rcd side is up stairs sockets downstairs sockets shower oven/grill combined appliance just trips at various times could be an appliance maybe fridge when compressor kicks in? can’t just turn off a fridge freezer to see if it’s that there was a leak coming from shower down pipe box through kitchen ever roof not a bad leak just a little one but can see mark on kitchen roof where is has bn

Last edited by a moderator:
So you got rid of a perfectly decent washing machine, which it turns out wasn’t the cause of the problem, as your RCD still trips. I recommend you contact a local spark, this should be a fairly simple job with the right tools and knowledge. It could be a cumulative earth leakage problem, seeing as it is erratic.

Last edited by a moderator:
no as soon as the washing machine was turned on it would trip straight away now it’s just tripping now and then and for your information tony it’s in the garage iam an apprentice don’t have a megger for testing or stuff so hard find for me

My heart always sinks when I get a call which starts by saying ‘my electrics keep turning off / tripping out when I turn XYZ on’

It could be a 15 minute job or a 3 hour job , you just never know how much time to allow in the diary....

I have a job tomorrow where someone has no hot water in their all electric flat. Could be the fuse , could be the stat , could be the element burned out.
Have allowed a 2 hour call but could end up half a day...

You say you have a leak from shower down to the kitchen ceiling which is showing as watermarks, could any if this water got into a downlight/light fitting by any chance?

May not even be an installation fault, back in 1995 I fitted a pair of RCD's one to each fuse board, now has MCB's in old boards, but now been fitted for some 30 odd years, every so often we get a run of tripping, do nothing, and it stops again, I will assume spikes on the supply. Resetting one RCD can trip the other, no real reason why it should, but it does.

In the main RCD tripping problems are down to a neutral to earth fault. So a fault with the toaster means using kettle will trip RCD when there is no fault with the kettle, cheap insulation testers can be bought for £35 today, far cheaper than new washing machine, so that's way to go.

After all the problems with RCD tripping for no apparent reason, this house is all RCBO it also means 4 more slots in the board, but not all RCD's are equal, there are makes and models designed not to be affected by spikes and not to trip until at 90% of earth leakage, and have a warning light built in, think they were called Xpole which is a problem as internet seems to show woman dancing not RCD's.

But at end of day, testing is only way, one may find a faulty appliance by trial and error, but you may also be lead astray, specially if the appliance which seems to cause the trip draws a heavy current.

My heart always sinks when I get a call which starts by saying ‘my electrics keep turning off / tripping out when I turn XYZ on’

It could be a 15 minute job or a 3 hour job , you just never know how much time to allow in the diary....

I have a job tomorrow where someone has no hot water in their all electric flat. Could be the fuse , could be the stat , could be the element burned out.

Well that was interesting , got to the flat to be confronted with a foreign make immersion cylinder that I have never seen.
Rang around 3 electrical wholesalers and 2 plumbers merchants and none had heard of the make.
Flats were built less than 2 years ago.
I am guessing the builders / plumbers / electricians were all foreign or brought aload of gear 'job lot' from abroad to fit in the flats.
A quick goggle search kind of points to France or Poland as being the place of origin for this immersion heater.

no as soon as the washing machine was turned on it would trip straight away now it’s just tripping now and then and for your information tony it’s in the garage iam an apprentice don’t have a megger for testing or stuff so hard find for me

Have you asked the electrician you are apprenticed to for help with this?
Without test equipment it is not possible to locate a fault like this

Tripping when the washing machine is turned on doesn't necessarily mean that the washing machine is faulty, there could be a N-E earth fault which is diverting neutral current to earth.

It could be an accumulation of fault currents which turning on the washing machine just tips over the top.
First step disconnect everything and IR test the circuit. Ensure the wiring is electrically sound first.

hey guys took the oven/grill main isolator off just to check behind it out of curiosity (because every time cool down fan kicked in not all the time but would trip) really really slack nutural and live connection on the load side could this have bn the cause of the tripping ?

Yesterday I had a ‘my lights dim when I turn anything on’ ?‍♂️

Type AC rcd will trip with washing machines try a type A
[automerge]1574378981[/automerge]
hi there there split rcd board with rcd keeps tripping maybe once twice sometimes 3 times a day turned the washing machine on tripped straight away got rid got another’s one now it’s tripping jus now and then
RCD type maybe wrong

Reply to rcd keeps tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock