Discuss Rcd socket tripped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Iona222

Trainee
Reaction score
Went to a shop. The rcd trip has tripped with a fridge in.

So I pat tested the fridge it's passed.

Plugged the fridge in to a extension cable surge protector , switched the mcb on and the it blow the surge extension.

Now I've gor the fridge in a extension reel and it's OK.? Weird.

Went to a shop. The rcd trip has tripped with a fridge in.

So I pat tested the fridge it's passed.

Plugged the fridge in to a extension cable surge protector , switched the mcb on and the it blow the mcb.
L,
Now I've gor the fridge in a extension reel and it's OK.? Weird.

Did you check the voltages? (L-N, N-E and L-E)
What you mean, I.r. test. I think the fridge is faulty

Any loose connections to suppy ,from Surge lead.
I took out an LED lamp when it shared an extension cable with an inductive load , and the extension plug was disturbed !

IR test with a 2 pole tester?

Check voltages L-N, N-E, L-E as per 1st response posted.
Not IR, checking voltage between each conductor, checking polarity; could also use the voltage setting on an MFT if you'd prefer.... Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the confusion?

Arguably this would come after an IR test between conductors to identify any shorts so maybe that's where it's all getting muddled, or I'm just a thickie ? both highly probable

Was the RCD tripping repeatable - could you make it do it every time by plugging the fridge in?
In this case the PAT test (good test to do btw) showed you that there isn't leakage to earth.
It might possibly be a fault that only shows itself when a defrost heater is energised which might be on a timer or a sensor.

The fact that it tripped a surge protector is an interesting factor though I can't immediately see how an appliance can cause this. Are you sure it wasn't a thermal cutout?

Was the RCD tripping repeatable - could you make it do it every time by plugging the fridge in?
In this case the PAT test (good test to do btw) showed you that there isn't leakage to earth.
It might possibly be a fault that only shows itself when a defrost heater is energised which might be on a timer or a sensor.

The fact that it tripped a surge protector is an interesting factor though I can't immediately see how an appliance can cause this. Are you sure it wasn't a thermal cutout?
Am I being the one who’s being stupid but doesn’t it siffrat the extension lead is at fault? The surge protection one? The fridge works now doesn’t it without being plugged into extension lead one of most common faults is a faulty extension lead. Try to avoid them as much as possible

also, have you checked for damage to the cables? if your moving stuff around the cable may short on something intermittently?

Some sharp metal edges on the back of fridges that would slice through a cable... I know they slice through skin well.....

Reply to Rcd socket tripped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net