Discuss RCD trip time in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

300mSec @ x1. typically see <40mSec.
40mSec. @ x5. typically see <20mSec.

Thank you- these are the values I was looking for.

From what I understand the mechanism does not differentiate between 1x and 5x, both trip around the same time without an inverse curve.

on testing RCDs (in this country) we generally find results of around 30-40mS @ x1, and 10-15mS. @ x5.

the RCD detects imbalance between L and N. the higher the current causing the imbalance, the faster it will trip.

An RCD with BSEN 61008 or 61009 is 300ms @ x1
But the old BS 4293 is 200ms @ x1
I think I am right is saying that, I’m sure if not someone will say,
But you don’t really see any of the old BS numbered rcds anymore, there are some Crabtree C50 Rccb about mainly schools,

Last edited:
I understand, but what makes it faster? Its kind of like a solenoid, it either pulls in or it does not. Of course could be wrong here.

similarto a MCB, the higher the current , the faster it trips.
RCD trip time 1575023192016 - EletriciansForums.net

Never knew that. Thanks :) How does the science work for RCDs?
RCDs work by sensing a difference on current flow between L and N ( in your case hot and N). close to the threshold, they trip, as they see an imbalance., i.e when the current i 1 of the conductors leaks to earth (ground) in the event of a fault. the test button simulates earth leakage by putting a resistance across L and E.

@Andy78: Big thanks, I needed that. How much does a tester like that cost?
This is a link to a site sponsor doing a good deal on these type of testers.
Hope it helps you.

Might just get one. Are the cheap ones good? How will the tester tolerate 120 volts and line-line 230 volts?

@Andy78: Big thanks, I needed that. How much does a tester like that cost?
That's a multifunction tester, also known as an installation tester, that performs all the tests required to verify safety.

That particular model is about £500 new. It's quite a basic model compared to some. Across all brands they range from about £400 to over £1000 depending on what features are included.

You can get dedicated RCD testers which are a bit cheaper.

[/QUOTE]
Might just get one. Are the cheap ones good? How will the tester tolerate 120 volts and line-line 230 volts?

You would have to look at the details in the specs or contact the seller/manufacturer to find out.
I think some of them do work on those kind of voltages but can't say for certain.

Reply to RCD trip time in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock