Discuss re routing armourd cable from 32a hot tub in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi have a TT CU in property with RCDs, Earth strap appears fine and solid. A 25meter cable has been run from RCD as a single 32 amp cct to a hot tub that is no longer present.. I want to reroute the cable
to a garage for lights and sockets. The main question is do I need to use another RCD garage consumer unit and as house is TT put another earth at the Garage.

a good qualified spark would not ask the question .and in what capacity do you think you could attempt do do it .

Last edited:
You could wire the armoured cable into a socket in the garage, then spur off from the socket to a Fused Connection Unit (3A or 5A fuse) for the lights.
Both the socket and the lighting would require 30mA RCD protection.
If the circuit for the hot tub did not have 30mA RCD protection then you would have either swap the MCB for an RCBO, or use a garage CU.

If you were to use all plastic fittings and accessories, then an earth rod would not be necessary.

Hi - If the origin of the circuit has a 30mA RCD then you don't need any additional ones. I would add that earthing is critical and sometimes a challenge with TT, so if you can't measure the fault loop impedance then my advice is to get help :) .

Unless you feel absolutely competent to do so do not do this work yourself. There seems to be too many RCDs and not enough other devices which would lead me to think your not sure. Remember a little knowledge can be extremely dangerous.

This is over and beyond what a DIYer should be doing I'm afraid, you should be getting a qualified electrician in to design and carry out this work for you.
Unless you feel absolutely competent to do so do not do this work yourself. There seems to be too many RCDs and not enough other devices which would lead me to think your not sure. Remember a little knowledge can be extremely dangerous.

Hi I was in the Oil industry installing and running all sorts of ac/ dc low and high voltage kit, mostly on ships, and have electrical and electronic quals. Just wanted to check. I had the house consumer unit replaced by an electrician about 6 years ago and he ran all the TT checks then. Same electrician ran a separate cable on a dedicated 32 amp cct to the Hot tub. The hot tub has gone, in its place now is my garage. So the plan was to connect up on a radial 3 x double sockets and a fused spur to some lights.

Reply to re routing armourd cable from 32a hot tub in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock