Discuss Re using Bakelite switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening All

Just quoting for a re-wire and the customer has asked if he can keep his original bakelite switches, not sure about this but guessing he can't as they don't conform to current BSEN. Can anyone point me the right direction??

Cheers in advance

Evening All

Just quoting for a re-wire and the customer has asked if he can keep his original bakelite switches, not sure about this but guessing he can't as they don't conform to current BSEN. Can anyone point me the right direction??

Cheers in advance
Might find some difficulty in sourcing the wooden blocks for these switches Dave. Assuming they are installed on a wooden block.

do you need a tool to access the live parts inside? a pic.would help.

I refitted two on a rewire for a young couple around 3 weeks ago, Crabtree with the wooden pattress, just parked the cpc in the hollow behind the pattress with a 2 port Ideal connector on it, fiddly things those. View attachment 48559

Hi Dave - I've made a fair few of these pattresses out using oak and a router. Originally, small holes were drilled immediately behind the terminal for a single core to pass through - is that how you did it? I always worry about the proximity to the terminal, but tend to drill a slightly larger hole. Just wondering if you had a better approach! (I've also considered spraying with some-kind of flame retardant).

(Apologies if this is considered 'post hijacking'. I've read the rules but assume this is ok. Lurked here for many years, not commented much but this sparked my interest!)

Hi Dave - I've made a fair few of these pattresses out using oak and a router. Originally, small holes were drilled immediately behind the terminal for a single core to pass through - is that how you did it? I always worry about the proximity to the terminal, but tend to drill a slightly larger hole. Just wondering if you had a better approach! (I've also considered spraying with some-kind of flame retardant).

(Apologies if this is considered 'post hijacking'. I've read the rules but assume this is ok. Lurked here for many years, not commented much but this sparked my interest!)

I actually reused the original pattresses, yes small holes were drilled through lining up with the switch terminals, the cores have to be pretty accurate on the length as you can't really ease slack back in behind, I've probably binned well over a hundred of these switches over the years, kind of wish I'd kept them now. :)

reminds me of my dad's house, built 1926, purchased in 1958. bakelite switches, VIR cables, asbestos backed fuses in wooden CU., all original installation from 1926. 15A round pin sockets, no fused plugs, house never burnt down. nobody got electrocuted; had to rewire socket circuits 1980 due to them new-fangled 1363 plugs on all new appliances. only fuse that ever blew was the DNO 30A rewireable. it popped soon after we swapped the coal fired cooker for an electric monstrosity. (1988). welling up now.i loved that cooker fed from the adjacent coal fire, until the cat decided to sleep in the oven and mother fired it up for sunday dinner. never seen a cat run so fast with it's fur smouldering.

You are both from Leeds....... is there a plush area? ;o))))
reminds me of my dad's house, built 1926, purchased in 1958. bakelite switches, VIR cables, asbestos backed fuses in wooden CU., all original installation from 1926. 15A round pin sockets, no fused plugs, house never burnt down. nobody got electrocuted; had to rewire socket circuits 1980 due to them new-fangled 1363 plugs on all new appliances. only fuse that ever blew was the DNO 30A rewireable. it popped soon after we swapped the coal fired cooker for an electric monstrosity. (1988). welling up now.i loved that cooker fed from the adjacent coal fire, until the cat decided to sleep in the oven and mother fired it up for sunday dinner. never seen a cat run so fast with it's fur smouldering.
Makes me feel old, mine was built in 1906.....

I’ve used the switches from “ Switch To Wood” as mentioned above. Really rather good, but really rather expensive too. In the right house they’re the mutts nuts.

Reply to Re using Bakelite switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock