Search the forum,

Discuss Record for stuffing cables into a terminal box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

Recently came across a 6 terminal 20Amp junction box with 12 T&E cables coming out of it and an additional chocy block inside! Is that a record? It was being used as the only distribution box for the upstairs lighting of a 3 bed semi.

I wanted to fit a 13th but the earth terminal wasn't having it!:devilish:

Pete

that's how they used to wire lights years ago- 1 or 2 jb's per circuit / floor, 2 or more cables per room plus 3 core 2 way switching cables, feed in and out to next jb if needed and earth's unsleeved and usually just twisted together often over the jb lid so they had to be untwisted to open the jb.
a pain to work on but have seen so beautifully terminated one's with all the cables done all in saddle clips so neatly laid in - real craftsmanship almost seems a shame to rip out on a rewire.

that's how they used to wire lights years ago- 1 or 2 jb's per circuit / floor, 2 or more cables per room plus 3 core 2 way switching cables, feed in and out to next jb if needed and earth's unsleeved and usually just twisted together often over the jb lid so they had to be untwisted to open the jb.
a pain to work on but have seen so beautifully terminated one's with all the cables done all in saddle clips so neatly laid in - real craftsmanship almost seems a shame to rip out on a rewire.

Most I have seen they have the cpc's out the 4 fixing holes in the back then twisted together

"Most I have seen they have the cpc's out the 4 fixing holes in the back then twisted together"

i have seen some like that but in this part of the world mostly they are screwed to the joists or roof trusses with the cables clipped side by side right up to the jb

I have found old lead sheathed cable done the same way in old metal J/Bs the same way , so its a method from long long ago ,,

It was often called 'Octopus' wiring. Helsby (or was it Henley?) did a system with flexible braided cables that all terminated in large round junction boxes, they actually sold it as the Octopus wiring system. That was a development of an earlier arrangement with lead JB's sweated over half a dozen (or even eight) lead sheathed cables, which actually looked quite octopus-y.

Reply to Record for stuffing cables into a terminal box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net