Discuss Mystery cable in attic in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soozypoo

DIY
Reaction score
I’m in the process of changing my old downlights in the bathroom , I put them in years ago with advice from my late father who was a sparky, these have all now failed but one and want to change from the old low voltage transformers to mains led ,anyway I went in the attic today to start disconnecting things and pulled some cable that I thought went to one of the downlights over the sink area but it pulled up cable that wasn’t connected to anything , it goes across the joist area and vanishes down near the eaves ,I can’t access yet as don’t have a board to crawl on to get that far over,obviously I don’t know what this is or why it was there lying under some insulation .
my dad did leave me power and lighting cable coiled up outside my back door (enclosed area ,which was to provide light and power to the outbuildings which he did tell me was under the bathroom floor to be connected when I needed it ,never got round to it and now tiled so will never access it ,but the cables outside back door vanishes from outside into the wall cavity ,I can’t trace where it goes to so maybe he could have pushed it up in the attic? But then the 2nd cable isn’t there ,unless one was under the bathroom floor and the other in the attic ,doubt i will ever know now .
I don’t particularly fancy pulling it around if it’s attached to something the other end , is there any way an electrician would know where it goes to if anything, if not I guess I will just have to terminate it just in case it’s something that shouldnt be there, I doubt it would be live just left lying there but can’t be sure.

also my hubby put doubt in my mind regarding the new led downlights , above my sink I originally lowered It a bit as had those horrid curved corners so built a frame and put tongue and groove on it back 12 yrs ago 2 downlights were in this and have happily been in there with no issues ,but hubby is saying because the cable from the downlight attached to the block isn’t that long it will mean the block sits on top of the lamp or gravity will make it fall on top of it ,I said no it can be Pushed up inside the frame and sit to the side ,but he is saying it could Be a fire risk , personally I don’t see a difference to the plastic black box sitting on the wood inside there to it sitting on a piece of loft flooring next to a wooden joist ? ,so hes made me doubt things now and I still haven’t changed them lol, another question is ,is there any issues with the black plastic box housing the wires a problem sitting next to the lamp on a wooden surface ? Photos to help with my explanation
many thanks

Attachments

• AEB42EAD-98E5-44D4-A407-8599B90F1444.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 73D97DCE-19BD-4472-A478-8549FB63B02F.jpeg
    434.6 KB · Views: 30
  • F437AA75-E915-46B8-8B3A-4035BDDB6274.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 39EDB173-2F19-43B3-ACC3-8929EFDBD34B.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 27
downlights should be safe to do the way you are doing them
having the block beside the lamp is fine
as for the wire I have no clue though if want to check if it's live strip it back a bit and measure it with a multimeter or those hotstick things (I hate them but they are handy sometimes)

Reply to Mystery cable in attic in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net