Discuss Regstering with a body in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

evo666

At this point in time I am not regestered with a body.
How do I carry out notifiable work and keep within the law??
I am looking at regestring with NAPIT but at the moment I have not got the funds!!
Also, how do part P quallified people register with a body as all the bodys I have spoken with want the 16th within 12 months (i am in the prosesses of doing it) If you were not that way inclined, how would you be able to carry out work??

Sorry for all the stupid questions!!!

Thanks in advance

Dodge

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dodge

Things have changed since the 17th popped up!!:eek:

Yeah they wanted the 16th within 12 months of joining (but you would still need "in-depth knowledge" of it for your assessment!)

Go and join the NIC Domestic Installers scheme NOW, and you MUST have your 17th to apply (dont know about the other schemes)

So, to carry out notifiable work within the "law"

Read Approved Document P (freely avilable online) and you have three categories of people.....

Basically:

1. people NOT qualified to issue BS7671 certificates and NOT memebrs of a competent persons scheme

2. People QUALIFIED to issue BS7671 certificates but NOT members of competent persons schemes

3. memebers of competent persons schemes

Assumin that you are either (1) or (2):

If (1), given the requirement to issue certificates is competence (knowledge, calibrated meter) etc you can ISSUE certificates but your Local Authority Building Control (LABC) is under no obligation to accept them (remember BS7671 and Part P are two entirely seperate things)

If (2) then pre-notify your work to the LABC, do the the work, test and inspect, issue your certs with a copy to LABC. They may want to check the work, or may accept the certs (there is a certainly an element of them getting to know you and your abilities in this)

You are then building up your portfolio of jobs to show which ever scheme you join

People who do the EAL Domestic installers VRQ (particularly if they got their 16th/17 th edition) would be classed as category (2)

any more questions, feel free to ask, no probs

regards

Tony

Thanks Tony

You are right in your thinking I am number 2!! Must get my 17th sorted out :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Regstering with a body in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock