Discuss removal of Virgin cables in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,
I am posting to ask what is the best way to remove some Virgin cables that are clipped to the side of my bungalow, and the associated boxes. These have been there since I bought the bungalow but I don't use Virgin, I have no intention to and I now need it all removed because I am going to renew the rendering. I live in England.
There are two jackets side by side. They come out from a pipe underneath my front garden, then they merge into one where they reach a box fixed to the front of my bungalow that has lost its cover. There, the cabling is connected to another via a screwed connector. The one jacket then splits into two again and both are clipped together along the side of my bungalow, they go round the back and there, they go inside the back room through a hole in the wall. In that room, there are two white boxes side by side, a bigger one and a smaller one. One of the jackets goes into the bigger white box and is then plugged inside a small grey box that is inside that white box. The other jacket goes into the smaller white box, in which four small cables come out of the jacket, two of which go into a connector and two of which have loose ends.
So, can I remove all these cables and boxes myself, or is it an electrician's job, or do I need to call Virgin? Is there anything to pay particular attention to? If I remove everything, there is going to be some loose cabling coming out from underneath my front garden, so how do I cap this?
I tried to post photos but the forum wouldn't let me.

Disconnect the 2 cables at the box at the front of the garden and remove everything that's on the wall and into the house including the boxes.
Virgin only use a single cable now and would most likely replace the cable for a higher quality that they now use on the walls outside.
Remove the box on the front while the render is done then fix it back after.

If you ring Virgin to replace the outside box or remove the cable they'll probably charge, or not even come out to it.

The Virgin street cabinet I'm connected to had it's metal cover stolen along with at least 20 others locally about 18 months ago, Virgin are aware but have done nothing, it's only because my near neighbour keeps wrapping it up with polythene that it doesn't get wrecked.

Disconnect the 2 cables at the box at the front of the garden and remove everything that's on the wall and into the house including the boxes.
Will I need to take precautions while doing this? Is there some current going through those cables? Will I be able to disconnect the two cables at the front by pulling or unscrewing them with my hands, or will I need a tool?

Reply to removal of Virgin cables in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock