• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Removing a corroded lug in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to remove a corroded lug holding the neutral wire to a neutral bar in a meter socket? It’s completely stuck and I'm afraid of breaking the neutral bar if too much force is used, cause then we will have to replace the entire meter socket (it seems like they don't sell any replacement neutral bars just for the meter socket). Live electrical wires from ComEd are coming in at the top of this meter socket. I am trying to remove the neutral cable for troubleshooting an open neutral problem

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Only the usual - tighten before loosening, heat, penetrating oil, impact driver as last resort. Why do you need to remove the cable at this point... can't you test from the panel?

BTW welcome to the forum, which is UK based. We do not have meter sockets in the UK, and if we did, they would be security sealed against electricity theft and only the PoCo would have access. So very few of us on here will ever have seen a meter socket!

Marvo

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I'd probably go (a bit carefully) with a cordless impact driver after giving it a soaking in WD40 and if it strips I'd drill it out and rethread with a tap that's the next size up.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to remove a corroded lug holding the neutral wire to a neutral bar in a meter socket? It’s completely stuck and I'm afraid of breaking the neutral bar if too much force is used, cause then we will have to replace the entire meter socket (it seems like they don't sell any replacement neutral bars just for the meter socket). Live electrical wires from ComEd are coming in at the top of this meter socket. I am trying to remove the neutral cable for troubleshooting an open neutral problem
You don’t have to use the lug in the meter base attach the #6 bare wire to the neutral bar in the panel neutral bar

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
You don’t have to use the lug in the meter base attach the #6 bare wire to the neutral bar in the panel neutral bar
You need to be careful, that’s one wire you don’t want to mess with unless you turn off all power. You could easily put 180vac on your single pole breakers. You can get in trouble cutting that tag to be able to pull that meter. Leave the lug alone the NEC states to terminate that wire to your neutral bar.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi,

Cut the offending lug off clean and remake the connection. ensuring all is clean put some of that gubins you US sparks use to reduce corrosion, all you Guys seen to slap it on everything.
Post automatically merged:

Cut the offending lug off clean and remake the connection. ensuring all is clean put some of that gubins you US sparks use to reduce corrosion, all you Guys seen to slap it on everything.
That should read "Slap it on"

Last edited:

Reply to Removing a corroded lug in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.
Top Bottom