Discuss Removing a corroded lug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to remove a corroded lug holding the neutral wire to a neutral bar in a meter socket? It’s completely stuck and I'm afraid of breaking the neutral bar if too much force is used, cause then we will have to replace the entire meter socket (it seems like they don't sell any replacement neutral bars just for the meter socket). Live electrical wires from ComEd are coming in at the top of this meter socket. I am trying to remove the neutral cable for troubleshooting an open neutral problem

Only the usual - tighten before loosening, heat, penetrating oil, impact driver as last resort. Why do you need to remove the cable at this point... can't you test from the panel?

BTW welcome to the forum, which is UK based. We do not have meter sockets in the UK, and if we did, they would be security sealed against electricity theft and only the PoCo would have access. So very few of us on here will ever have seen a meter socket!

I'd probably go (a bit carefully) with a cordless impact driver after giving it a soaking in WD40 and if it strips I'd drill it out and rethread with a tap that's the next size up.

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to remove a corroded lug holding the neutral wire to a neutral bar in a meter socket? It’s completely stuck and I'm afraid of breaking the neutral bar if too much force is used, cause then we will have to replace the entire meter socket (it seems like they don't sell any replacement neutral bars just for the meter socket). Live electrical wires from ComEd are coming in at the top of this meter socket. I am trying to remove the neutral cable for troubleshooting an open neutral problem
You don’t have to use the lug in the meter base attach the #6 bare wire to the neutral bar in the panel neutral bar

You don’t have to use the lug in the meter base attach the #6 bare wire to the neutral bar in the panel neutral bar
You need to be careful, that’s one wire you don’t want to mess with unless you turn off all power. You could easily put 180vac on your single pole breakers. You can get in trouble cutting that tag to be able to pull that meter. Leave the lug alone the NEC states to terminate that wire to your neutral bar.

Hi,

Cut the offending lug off clean and remake the connection. ensuring all is clean put some of that gubins you US sparks use to reduce corrosion, all you Guys seen to slap it on everything.
[automerge]1572455071[/automerge]
Cut the offending lug off clean and remake the connection. ensuring all is clean put some of that gubins you US sparks use to reduce corrosion, all you Guys seen to slap it on everything.
That should read "Slap it on"

Last edited:

Reply to Removing a corroded lug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock