Discuss Removing half of a dual switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

zoobug115

DIY
Reaction score
I have a small walkway with a dual switch (upper and lower) at one end. I added a wireless switch at each end. The upper switch controls an outside light. The lower switch controls the light with the wireless switches and needs to remain "on".
I'd like to eliminate the dual switch and put in a single switch to control the outside light.
There are 4 black wires going to each pole, one comes into the box "hot". 4 common wires tied together in the rear of the box.
Can I do this or is it above my novice abilities?
image_67134465.JPGimage_67186177.JPG

If the bottom switch controls the light that shall remain on then use a wire nut to join both of the wires going into it, that way the connection will be permanent.
Then install the single switch using the remaining two wires.

If the bottom switch controls the light that shall remain on then use a wire nut to join both of the wires going into it, that way the connection will be permanent.
I'll do that, thank you!

First off do you have a meter or non contact voltage checker. You need to identify the black wire which is you main live wire. Add your switch and the live wire will hook up to the top screw and one of the blacks will hooked up to turn on your porch light. The black wire on the bottom of the switch that you don’t want to use just tape it up. Splice the remaining blacks together.

Reply to Removing half of a dual switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net