Discuss Replacing bathroom pull switch with dimmable pull switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Richard Cook

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’m replacing my bathroom pull cord switch with a quieter one (that has a dimmer function that we’ll probably never use) and the original one had the live to COM and neutral (with brown sleeve) to L1. However this new pull switch has a IN L and N and a LOAD L and N and I’m a bit confused.

Photos attached. Any help?

5825771B-4CA5-45A2-ADA1-E2E27A47203F.jpeg B1DD0FF1-50AF-43EF-9E26-D6CE8D30E0F3.jpeg

Hi - the new switch has incoming L and N terminals, whereas your existing wiring has L only and then the sleeved Switched L as output. So you could try it without the N, or perhaps take it back (?). In my experience the pull switches are all clunky I'm afraid - this is one that claims to be "quieter" and might be worth a try. It's certainly not silent, but it's perhaps less clunky than some.
6 Amp 1 Way Ceiling Pull Cord Switch - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM2781.html

IMG_1290.jpg

the original one had the live to COM and neutral (with brown sleeve) to L1.

That’s not a neutral at your original switch - that’s a switch line (that becomes live when the pull chord is - erm - pulled!

Maybe the instructions you have with your new switch will tell you that you need a neutral....

Beaten to it by Wilko!
What’s this, fastest fingers first?

Nice one - neutral not required. So it's easy to get it going then!

I assume those two proud screws over the two IN and LOAD terminals are not used to secure the wires?

This has been installed incorrectly. The sheath of the cable must enter the enclosure of the fitting. Even if you now bring the cable in one of the knockouts there is a hole in the enclosure. Unless around fast fix box or conduit box is now used this is non-compliant with the regs.

Reply to Replacing bathroom pull switch with dimmable pull switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net