Discuss Replacing wall lights in home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello there,
I apologise in advance if this is a really amateurish question, I am looking for some advice about wall lights and in the absence of yet having found an electrician who can do the job, I am hoping to get some advice from someone on here.
I am due to move into a new house in the next week, the house is 20 years old and I will be renting it. There are various wall lights dotted around the house which are not to my taste which I am hoping to replace with some more modern ones without causing any damage!
Please could someone tell me if wall lights have universal fittings or if there are specific ones you have to buy to replace existing models?
Please could someone take a look at the attached photos and tell me if I am able to replace the old fashioned wall lights in the pictures with the more modern looking ones that I have also included photos of, as well as a specification. In an ideal world I would like to remove the lights completely but I am on an extremely tight budget so unfortunately don't have the budget for having them removed and the walls re-plastered and painted.
Any help you can provide will be gratefully received as I am concerned about ordering multiple wall lights that are not compatible with the existing fittings.
Thank you.
IMG_3638.jpg IMG_3643.jpg IMG_3644.jpg IMG_3700.jpg Lighting 2.JPG Lighting.JPG

The black metal ones can easily be swapped for other ones with slightly larger wall base mounts. They arent too expensive.
The 2 matching white fittings on what looks like a painted wall could be more problematic as you can almost guarantee the paint was not done underneath and if you remove them you would have to ensure the new fitting was larger to hide the old marks etc... so measure and if its larger than them id say okay
As for the light you want to put up. I think it will cover the holes from the black metal ones no problem. Cant be sure about the 2 matching wall shades though.
Where abouts are you as im sure somebody can put up a few lights cheap enough.

to change any lighing fitting that are metal class 2 would reqire a cpc to those fitting i would get a spark in to in sure thier is earth for any new fitting .

Think the ones the OP is intending to put up are made of plaster, not sure if the lamp holder is Class 1 or 2 from the instructions pic?

Reply to Replacing wall lights in home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net