Discuss Rewire and what's involved? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Justmovedin

So full rewire is what I need. 3 bed house 2 reception rooms kitchen. Easy access to everything, building regs informed assessed new consumer unit 4 double plugs in each room 2 double in each bedroom, lol lighting and shiny certificate at the end. Estimates please, well best range you can give from information provided. Mainly looking for labour and cost for building regs

personally i would not do a rewire if i were not supplying the materials, as i would want to know its decent quality and is the correct stuff for the job, customers when supplying materials often miss things out, or get the wrong stuff.
If you get an electrician in who is a scheme member then they can notify building control themselves saving you a few hundred.
in terms of a quote for what you describe there are too many variables to be able to give a good accurate price. such as is the house empty or full of furniture and lived in...
also you would want the electrician to check your earthing is upto scratch and bonding of utilities...
If you are just shopping for quotes, invite a few local electricians around then research them online to see about profiles, scheme membership etc... the best way is always from people you know who have used them. as you can see the work done previously and get a impartial opinion.

personally i would not do a rewire if i were not supplying the materials, as i would want to know its decent quality and is the correct stuff for the job, customers when supplying materials often miss things out, or get the wrong stuff.
If you get an electrician in who is a scheme member then they can notify building control themselves saving you a few hundred.
in terms of a quote for what you describe there are too many variables to be able to get a good accurate price. such is is the house empty or full of furniture and lived in...

Just moved in house empty, ceilings floorboards removed. Didn't say buying materials I just want to know how much of the 3k 4k I see on this site is labour, which is cost to building regs and then I can work out cost if materials. Im only after a roundabout figure so I can work out the overtime i need to do to pay for it

Lots of disruption, carpets and floorboards lifted, where possible, lots of banging about, cursing, dust and debris all over the shop, mad panic at the end of each day to make you gaff habitable, lots of used tea bags, dirty cups in the sink, if the Sparky doing the work is like some of the Gimboids I have worked with there could be a hole or two in the ceiling where he has missed his footing and stuck his foot through the ceiling, well you did ask.

if the Sparky doing the work is like some of the Gimboids I have worked with there could be a hole or two in the ceiling where he has missed his footing and stuck his foot through the ceiling, well you did ask.

I take great offence at being called a Gimboid, whatever that might be.

Just moved in house empty, ceilings floorboards removed. Didn't say buying materials I just want to know how much of the 3k 4k I see on this site is labour, which is cost to building regs and then I can work out cost if materials. Im only after a roundabout figure so I can work out the overtime i need to do to pay for it
Things to consider

Materials - May or may not have a mark up.
Labour,
Is electrician making good on chases, or are you getting a plasterer in?
Time for testing, certification and Notifying scheme who will deal will building regs notification.
Electrician may add a percentage on to the above as a margin of error incase of unforeseen snags and costs.

Asking how much is labour is a bit like how long is a piece of string as everybody has different rates and operating costs. Personally when quoting for a rewire if it looks a bit of a pain i up my day rate, if it looks a straightforward job it might come down a little. But it also depends how much i got on and can it fit around other commitments.

Anything from 2.5 k to 4 k

Best you will get from an internet forum...

Surely the cost is the cost... How would a breakdown assist unless you plan to impose cheaper items on said spark

Last edited by a moderator:
Rough figure for what you describe max 3k Labour mats on top. If I did the work there would be a mark up on the mats of 10% but still cheaper and better than you could buy them I believe.
Job I did recently for a commercial kitchen the people bought the mats. I asked one of the ladies who own the kitchen, everything ok with the price? She nearly burst into tears and said near hysterical, well the price has gone through the roof I have spent £700 on materials. This is for a container of 8 foot by 20. Of course it did not help they had bought a monkey LED light that hangs on the wall for £200, and that fact that half of what they had bought was in no way suitable for the job. Hey ho! There is a bit of art involved in knowing exactly what you need and works for the job in prospect.

There is a bit of art involved in knowing exactly what you need and works for the job in prospect.

Which kind of supports what i said about not liking the customer buying materials. even if you don't make a mark up on them, at least you know you have the bits needed when you need them if you supply materials. can save half a day or more on a big job.

I don't have a problem with the customer supplying materials but I'll do a detailed list and specify certain brands for them - the time taken to produce the list is charged at normal rate.

So full rewire is what I need. 3 bed house 2 reception rooms kitchen. Easy access to everything, building regs informed assessed new consumer unit 4 double plugs in each room 2 double in each bedroom, lol lighting and shiny certificate at the end. Estimates please, well best range you can give from information provided. Mainly looking for labour and cost for building regs
upload_2017-8-9_19-13-8.pngthis will help !

been you estimate job to day. customer said he wanted the new pvc sockets& switch fronts . said to him I will work a price out .
next thing he said I got this lot .what .
pulled a bag of switches and sockets he had been to lidl.
bl **dy cheep skate.

been you estimate job to day. customer said he wanted the new pvc sockets& switch fronts . said to him I will work a price out .
next thing he said I got this lot .what .
pulled a bag of switches and sockets he had been to lidl.
bl **dy cheep skate.

Reply to Rewire and what's involved? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net