Discuss Ring doorbell pro install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

zakjay

DIY
Reaction score
Just trying to research installing the ring doorbell pro. There's a vid on youtube of someone installing it. My question is the way he installed it was it okay? how would you do it? I found some micro trunking for the doorbell wire, but it's pretty expensive, what would you use? Here's the vid:

In my opinion, this is a poor installation.
I would be embarrassed if I had installed that for a customer.

things I don't like,

Extra hole in door filled with silicone
cable is not well supported over the full length of installation (bell wire)
no cable gland on transformer box, therefore cables are unsupported and easy to get pulled out.
I would have preferred to see it wired to a fused spur instead of being on a plug and socket.

the guy installing it appears to have a limited understanding of what he is doing.

Edit,

Also, WOW, if he thinks that particular installation is so good it is worthy of posting a video online showing off his skills.

I would shudder to think about the ones he has installed that are not good enough to show off about.

Last edited:
In my opinion, this is a poor installation.
I would be embarrassed if I had installed that for a customer.

things I don't like,

Extra hole in door filled with silicone
cable is not well supported over the full length of installation (bell wire)
no cable gland on transformer box, therefore cables are unsupported and easy to get pulled out.
I would have preferred to see it wired to a fused spur instead of being on a plug and socket.

the guy installing it appears to have a limited understanding of what he is doing.

Edit,

Also, WOW, if he thinks that particular installation is so good it is worthy of posting a video online showing off his skills.

I would shudder to think about the ones he has installed that are not good enough to show off about.

Thanks for the advice. Glands, fused spur, trunking makes sense!

Just to be an awkward git; if he had put it in the fuseboard, would it count as a new circuit and fall under part p? Given it gets powered, and is directly interactting with the fuseboard? If so then I'm suspecting he's done it like this to avoid LBC fees etc, I could be wrong?

I couldn't see one negative comment on his video, that will soon change. And a typical lazy BT approach to cable runs in someones house.

Reply to Ring doorbell pro install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net