Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Ring doorbell pro install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Just trying to research installing the ring doorbell pro. There's a vid on youtube of someone installing it. My question is the way he installed it was it okay? how would you do it? I found some micro trunking for the doorbell wire, but it's pretty expensive, what would you use? Here's the vid:

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
In my opinion, this is a poor installation.
I would be embarrassed if I had installed that for a customer.

things I don't like,

Extra hole in door filled with silicone
cable is not well supported over the full length of installation (bell wire)
no cable gland on transformer box, therefore cables are unsupported and easy to get pulled out.
I would have preferred to see it wired to a fused spur instead of being on a plug and socket.

the guy installing it appears to have a limited understanding of what he is doing.

Edit,

Also, WOW, if he thinks that particular installation is so good it is worthy of posting a video online showing off his skills.

I would shudder to think about the ones he has installed that are not good enough to show off about.

Last edited:

snowhead

-
Mentor
I wouldn't take any notice of anything done in that video.

The installer appears to be called "Telephone Engineer and ring doorbell installer"

Note to self,, never to have a phone installed by him.

I knew it was going to be horrendous after 22 seconds... as soon as said he'd used the rawlplugs that came with it !

Please don't try to emulate his installation zakjay...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In my opinion, this is a poor installation.
I would be embarrassed if I had installed that for a customer.

things I don't like,

Extra hole in door filled with silicone
cable is not well supported over the full length of installation (bell wire)
no cable gland on transformer box, therefore cables are unsupported and easy to get pulled out.
I would have preferred to see it wired to a fused spur instead of being on a plug and socket.

the guy installing it appears to have a limited understanding of what he is doing.

Edit,

Also, WOW, if he thinks that particular installation is so good it is worthy of posting a video online showing off his skills.

I would shudder to think about the ones he has installed that are not good enough to show off about.
Thanks for the advice. Glands, fused spur, trunking makes sense!

There was plenty of space in the fuse board to put the transformer directly in there too. surely that would have been easier and not leave the mains cable dangling freely?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
how about trunking? any tips? some cheap micro plastic to source, most leave it exposed and use a staple gun but is that ok?

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Supporter
Advent Win
Just to be an awkward git; if he had put it in the fuseboard, would it count as a new circuit and fall under part p? Given it gets powered, and is directly interactting with the fuseboard? If so then I'm suspecting he's done it like this to avoid LBC fees etc, I could be wrong?

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
I couldn't see one negative comment on his video, that will soon change. And a typical lazy BT approach to cable runs in someones house.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Ring doorbell pro install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom