Discuss Generation 2 Ring doorbell install in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

socketman

DIY
Reaction score
Amateur with no experience here - bought a Ring doorbell in the sale assuming I would just switch it out for my doorbell by removing and reattaching - however concerned it may be a bit more too it#

Current button goes to a chime housing a transformer (DETA C3500 A/C 220-240 volts 50Hz)

Instrutions are below

I have nothing in the box other than the doorbell

Can I just swap it for the doorbell button - or do i need to do anythign with the chime/transformer?

The 2nd generation video doorbell needs an AC voltage of between 8 to 24 volts. If your chime output voltage is in this range then, yes, it's just a case of removing the old bell push and wiring the Ring doorbell in its place.
You'll need to set up the chime in the app as well.

Thats promising now for the dumb question - how do I know the output voltage of the chime?

This is the only details I can find on it: (DETA C3500 A/C 220-240 volts 50Hz)

that's just the mains input figures. there should be an indication of the output volts .

From what I can see using Google, the deta 3500 does not prevent an AC voltage to the bell push, but rather a small signal voltage which senses when the bell is pushed.
Which means it will not work. The best alternative is to change the doorbell for a ring compatible one.

Aghh thanks for the advice - in the meantime I will mount the doorbell and use the internal batterey.

If I do that - how do I make the doorbell wires safe - just tape them up seperately behind the new doorbell

Or disconnect the doorbell wire at the transformer?

Google brings up a few articles and U tube videos relating to using this particular chime with a Ring doorbell push, and most replace the complete chime with a 2 module DIN enclosure and a DIN rail mounted bell transformer clipped inside of it.

Google brings up a few articles and U tube videos relating to using this particular chime with a Ring doorbell push, and most replace the complete chime with a 2 module DIN enclosure and a DIN rail mounted bell transformer clipped inside of it.
That's true, but you would have to buy a Ring chime in order to hear anything.
Replacing the existing mains chime with the Byron 776 kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

the chime dosent concern me BTW - as it came with amazon alexa devices to play the chime/alert via Wifi anyway.

Im mainly concerned about powering the device

As above if it becomes a much bigger job I can just attach the doorbell and use the internal battery but wondering how i secure the existing doorbell wires or just disconnect them at the chime/transformer unit (is it bad to have a transformer that doesnt go anywhere?)

Unless there's been a recent change, your original doorbell or chime won't work with a Ring doorbell push anyway. The fitting instructions only suggest leaving it in place to avoid leaving a scar on the wall. Ring will, of course, sell you a 'wireless' chime that you plug into a convenient power socket.
While the Ring system is excellent at detecting movement and sending an alert to our 'phones, I find the actual doorbell function to be much less reliable, although that might be down to having four wi fi routers around the place, and our 'phones often connected to a different one from the bell push.

Unless there's been a recent change, your original doorbell or chime won't work with a Ring doorbell push anyway. The fitting instructions only suggest leaving it in place to avoid leaving a scar on the wall. Ring will, of course, sell you a 'wireless' chime that you plug into a convenient power socket.
While the Ring system is excellent at detecting movement and sending an alert to our 'phones, I find the actual doorbell function to be much less reliable, although that might be down to having four wi fi routers around the place, and our 'phones often connected to a different one from the bell push.
The second generation video doorbell can be wired using the bell push wires without altering the wiring at all, as long the existing mains doorbell has an output voltage of between 8 to 24 VAC. You have to tell the app what kind of existing doorbell you have.
The existing chime will sound when you press the ring button.

If the existing mains doorbell is not suitable, as in this case, then it can either be replaced with one that is suitable, or be removed and a standalone 8 to 24 VAC transformer be fitted in its place.

The second generation video doorbell can be wired using the bell push wires without altering the wiring at all, as long the existing mains doorbell has an output voltage of between 8 to 24 VAC. You have to tell the app what kind of existing doorbell you have.
The existing chime will sound when you press the ring button.

If the existing mains doorbell is not suitable, as in this case, then it can either be replaced with one that is suitable, or be removed and a standalone 8 to 24 VAC transformer be fitted in its place.
So they have changed it then.

Reply to Generation 2 Ring doorbell install in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net