Discuss Ring Video Doorbell Wired Install Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

_andym

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies, I know this question has been asked a bunch before but as I’ve read in most of the previous threads there is that many different setups and doorbells I wanted to confirm (or not) that I was on the right track.

Plan is to power via current chime. Not sure what make/model but standard 4 terminal (0-3) with what I assume is 2 wires in from transformer (beside consumer unit) and 2 wires out to doorbell. See Photos included.

F08371A2-A206-4FEF-A8CE-B868FBAABFDA.jpeg
49338BAA-501F-460E-ADB7-4FC55FCB6B51.jpeg

My confusion is with the two wires (1 from transformer and 1 from doorbell) being combined into terminal 0. Also, ring website instructions suggest that the wires that cross the opening on the plastic with wires going into the chime should be bypassed. In my example these are all different and includes the terminal 0 with 2 wires.

Initially, I thought terminals 2 and 3 should be placed in wago bypass and to leave the two wires going to terminal 0 as shown but now I’m not so sure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

@Dartlec hope the tag is ok. As mentioned having read a lot of the other posts similar to my own, I noticed a lot of advice from yourself so thought I’d be a bit forward and tag you. Hope that’s ok? Thanks.

TL;DR
Installing a ring video doorbell wired. Need to know what wires to add to wago bypass? See photos for current setup reference.
Best thing you can do with Ring instructions is to bin them. They just cause confusion.
All you are trying to do, is to connect the two wires coming from the transformer directly to the two wires going to the original bell push, disconnecting the original chime or bell from the circuit. Doesn't matter which wire connects to which, as long as it's a wire form one cable to a wire in the other cable.
Ring are suggesting that you leave the two wires which are already connected together at a terminal in the chime exactly as they are, and then disconnect the remaining two wires from the chime, and use the supplied link and Wagos to join them together.
There is a 'lump' in the middle of the supplied link, which Ring make no reference to, but I suspect it is a fuse of some kind.

Edit: I've just noticed that someone has used telephone wire to connect up your chime. Leave the blue/whites as they are, disconnect the white/blues from the chime, and use the link and Wagos to join them together.

Best thing you can do with Ring instructions is to bin them. They just cause confusion.
All you are trying to do, is to connect the two wires coming from the transformer directly to the two wires going to the original bell push, disconnecting the original chime or bell from the circuit. Doesn't matter which wire connects to which, as long as it's a wire form one cable to a wire in the other cable.
Ring are suggesting that you leave the two wires which are already connected together at a terminal in the chime exactly as they are, and then disconnect the remaining two wires from the chime, and use the supplied link and Wagos to join them together.
There is a 'lump' in the middle of the supplied link, which Ring make no reference to, but I suspect it is a fuse of some kind.

Edit: I've just noticed that someone has used telephone wire to connect up your chime. Leave the blue/whites as they are, disconnect the white/blues from the chime, and use the link and Wagos to join them together.

Cheers for advice Brian, was considering bypassing the chime completely but I see what you mean about the ‘lump’ and possible fuse inclusion so I’ll link up as you suggest and see how we go. Thanks again!

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a similar question but the Chime looks different. It seems to be connected to 9V battery and mains at the same time? See attached. As you can see the actuator is on left side (term 0,3) which wires should i bypass in this case for the Ring to work?

Attachments

• 0123E52B-EE07-41D6-A672-C757DBF8932B.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Ring Video Doorbell Wired Install Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net