Discuss Replace Friedland Type 4 chime transformer for Ring doorbell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Installing a Ring doorbell - followed all the instructions and the ring is not powering on. I believe the issue might be the transformer in the chime box isn't powerful enough for the job. Ideally I could just replace the transformer pictured below with a newer unit which has the required specs.
Can any of you advise what the best course of action might be?

Thanks.

20210619_142532.jpeg

Which Ring do you have? They vary quite a bit in requirements - and some need DC rather than AC.

I do suspect that the transformer you have isn't up to the job. Ring support website is useless for finding the right information, especially when they have so many models - I don't think they don't even sell a suitable one for UK use, though they do recommend some compatible DIN rain mounted ones that go in the consumer unit....

The one they sell in Europe is 24VAC with something like 50VA max (more or less equivalent to Watts) - So I suspect the 15W your chime is giving out is not up to the task.

There will be some options depending on your model.

How is the chime powered? From a local Fused spur, or direct from the consumer unit on it's own circuit?

The simplest option may be a plug in transformer that connects to the Ring, and then use an Echo or similar as the chime - though it's not as reliable as a hard wired chime...

The model is a "Video Doorbell Wired"

The chime is on the lighting circuit. I don't want the existing chime to make any noise as part of the reason for getting the Ring is to have a silent option just to ping my phone.

I've got a socket power option but I would rather use the existing doorbell cabling rather than start drilling holes through the door frame and running wires, besides, there's no convenient sockets close to the door in any case.

Their page isn't terribly helpful, but does claim

"Ring Video Doorbell Wired is compatible with most standard 8-24VAC doorbell transformers. When sourcing a new transformer we recommend a transformer that is 10VA minimum, and must be less than 40VA"

So in theory your chime should supply - Though I've seen lots of posts with people having trouble when it's less than 20V - But I assume there is a transformer elsewhere supplying this chime - doesn't appear to show on in your picture? If so which is the wire leaving to the doorbell? It may be that it's not connected properly.

The do appear to finally sell a DIN rail transformer, so it may be possible to replace the one you have with it, depending on

Is the transformer wire into the chime the left hand one? If so, I think you may not have them correctly connected - If I'm understanding the layout correctly, then the two blue wires currently in terminal 3 could go into the wago connector, with the red wire to terminal 2 removed

If that doesn't work, you need to work out which wires have 12V across them and connect those to the ones that go to the doorbell...

If still nothing, then it may well be your transformer - That looks like max of 12VA out, which may not be enough, whatever Ring's support page says.

If that's below/close to the chime, you might be able to put the transformer they supply in the same box - or replace the chime with a suitable box/enclosure - the 230V supply needs to be suitable protected from fingers....

Just found myself in a similar situation after purchasing the most recent wired ring doorbell. Just popped the hood off the Chime box and see n the wiring. I think the top wires are the doorbell and the bottom from the mains transformer. Any advice on how to attach the ring, struggling
11A6AC13-F37C-4309-85C5-2B020459F7CD.jpeg
to see the similarity from the original post?

Just found myself in a similar situation after purchasing the most recent wired ring doorbell. Just popped the hood off the Chime box and see n the wiring. I think the top wires are the doorbell and the bottom from the mains transformer. Any advice on how to attach the ring, strugglingView attachment 87212 to see the similarity from the original post?

From my brief research, it looks like the Ring wired doesn't come with the adapter to make it compatible with this sort of chime, so it's a case of bypassing it...

You could just connect the two in to the two out using the provided wago connectors and ignore the terminals completely. Or if you prefer in your case above I think moving the wire from terminal T3 to join the one on Terminal 2 would do the same thing....

Make sure the transformer is off during the rewiring, to avoid shorting it.

Reply to Replace Friedland Type 4 chime transformer for Ring doorbell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net