• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Trainee Route into being a sparky

Discuss Route into being a sparky in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wynne

New EF Member
Hi All,

I'm considering a career change into being an electrician and wanted to gather peoples thoughts on what is the best route into the trade that delivers most bang for the buck.

I've been offered an eight week course for £7000 in South London which will give me my part P and 18th edition wiring. My question is, is this just an expensive waste of money where training on the job would be vastly more preferable? What is the best way to land a spot as an electricians mate and study toward an NVQ? I'm 41 (wife two kids and dog etc!) and keen to pursue this hard but want to do it prudently if possible.

My question is what other things can I do, other than take the crash course that is going to make me attractive as an apprentice considering my age , obviously my maturity but anything else I can do?

Thanks for your thoughts.

W

ZippyMo

Active EF Member
Hi All,

I'm considering a career change into being an electrician and wanted to gather peoples thoughts on what is the best route into the trade that delivers most bang for the buck.

I've been offered an eight week course for £7000 in South London which will give me my part P and 18th edition wiring. My question is, is this just an expensive waste of money where training on the job would be vastly more preferable? What is the best way to land a spot as an electricians mate and study toward an NVQ? I'm 41 (wife two kids and dog etc!) and keen to pursue this hard but want to do it prudently if possible.

My question is what other things can I do, other than take the crash course that is going to make me attractive as an apprentice considering my age , obviously my maturity but anything else I can do?

Thanks for your thoughts.

W
Welcome on board fella,
I'm just like yourself. A late starter although I built up some practical experience with family members over the last 9 years.
Your best bet is to enrol on a college course (city and guilds 2365 level 2) and give these long distance learning schemes a miss. In the college you will have a tutor face to face which helps alot.
On these fast track courses the tutor is on the other end of the phone and a lot harder to get hold of.

Good luck and wish you all the best.

ZippyMo
Trainee Spark

Wynne

New EF Member
Hi,

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in coming back, life has a habit of causing fires that need taking out (house move and serious family illness), but these seem to be in hand now! I'll take a look into your suggestions and let you know how I get on/ask further questions.

Thanks again.

W

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]