Discuss Route into being a sparky in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wynne

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm considering a career change into being an electrician and wanted to gather peoples thoughts on what is the best route into the trade that delivers most bang for the buck.

I've been offered an eight week course for £7000 in South London which will give me my part P and 18th edition wiring. My question is, is this just an expensive waste of money where training on the job would be vastly more preferable? What is the best way to land a spot as an electricians mate and study toward an NVQ? I'm 41 (wife two kids and dog etc!) and keen to pursue this hard but want to do it prudently if possible.

My question is what other things can I do, other than take the crash course that is going to make me attractive as an apprentice considering my age , obviously my maturity but anything else I can do?

Thanks for your thoughts.

W

As you have money to spend, spend it on courses that count for something.

As a new entrant you need 2365 and then NVQ3 and AM2

City & Guilds 2365 Course Level 2 & 3 Diploma - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/2365-course

It is 7.5k, but at least these quals mean something, amd I think this must be the quickest way you can get them as it is 2 week blocks.

If you had 2365 L2 and L3 you are well on your way to being fully qualified.

Hi All,

I'm considering a career change into being an electrician and wanted to gather peoples thoughts on what is the best route into the trade that delivers most bang for the buck.

I've been offered an eight week course for £7000 in South London which will give me my part P and 18th edition wiring. My question is, is this just an expensive waste of money where training on the job would be vastly more preferable? What is the best way to land a spot as an electricians mate and study toward an NVQ? I'm 41 (wife two kids and dog etc!) and keen to pursue this hard but want to do it prudently if possible.

My question is what other things can I do, other than take the crash course that is going to make me attractive as an apprentice considering my age , obviously my maturity but anything else I can do?

Thanks for your thoughts.

W

Welcome on board fella,
I'm just like yourself. A late starter although I built up some practical experience with family members over the last 9 years.
Your best bet is to enrol on a college course (city and guilds 2365 level 2) and give these long distance learning schemes a miss. In the college you will have a tutor face to face which helps alot.
On these fast track courses the tutor is on the other end of the phone and a lot harder to get hold of.

Good luck and wish you all the best.

ZippyMo
Trainee Spark

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in coming back, life has a habit of causing fires that need taking out (house move and serious family illness), but these seem to be in hand now! I'll take a look into your suggestions and let you know how I get on/ask further questions.

Thanks again.

W

Reply to Route into being a sparky in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock