Discuss Route to becoming certified electrification. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jay123

-
Reaction score
HI All,

I am planning a career change and wanted some advice.

I want to work my way to become a fully certified domestic and commercial installer.

My practical experience is minimal as in I have helped electricians on jobs, this was ad hoc and not regular. I am confident at general DIY and power tools usage and manual labour.

My plan is, and this is on the assumption I am still to hold down my current full-time job, is to do a domestic installer course (trade skills4u) to help with the theoretical knowledge and also some practical.

Whilst completing the course I would assist a certified domestic electrician to up my practical knowledge until I’m able to go it alone and get myself certified by the governing body. I would at first do a couple of days a week until I am able to earn to substitute me going part time from my current job.

Then from becoming a certified domestic installer to continue into the commercial realm.

Does this sound feasible and what sort of time scales should I keep in mind to become certified at domestic level.

Thanks for all your advice.

Best route is a proper apprenticeship

There is no easy way to become an electrician

I have dipped in and out for 20+ years and am still learning

My dad was a sparks for over 45 years and was still learning before he retired

This country is awash with “domestic installers” mate give it a lot of thought before spending ya money don’t listen to the salesman .....that aside if you are determined then good luck

JAY123.
You will find a lot if nimby sparks here.
If you work hard and put the study in you will be fine.
12 months you’ll be able to fully rewire a house competently, oddly enough the apprentice all singing time served sparks would end up with the same result as you as defined in the regs. So 1 year 20 years we are pretty much doing the same things. :)

Best route is a proper apprenticeship

There is no easy way to become an electrician

I have dipped in and out for 20+ years and am still learning

My dad was a sparks for over 45 years and was still learning before he retired

Totally agree apprentice route would be great, but at my age 38 not so easy. Also i need to maintain my financial commitments so couldn't just leave current jobs. But i dont want this to be a barrier to entry.

This country is awash with “domestic installers” mate give it a lot of thought before spending ya money don’t listen to the salesman .....that aside if you are determined then good luck

Thanks very valid point, need to consider longevity/demand employ-ability.

JAY123.
12 months you’ll be able to fully rewire a house competently, oddly enough the apprentice all singing time served sparks would end up with the same result as you as defined in the regs. So 1 year 20 years we are pretty much doing the same things. :)

thanks for the encouragement and reply.

JAY123.
Before you ask Dorspark as to why I disagreed with your post, it wasn't personal, but I take issue with your statement "So 1 year 20 years" is dismissive it takes more that getting the circuitry correct, experience give you clues on how to approach a rewire, or any job come to that, clues like how a building is built, how to get over differing construction methods, so think again Mate. I have seen many a house rewire done by people who think they are competent, and to be honest most of the work is not up to best practice.

Last edited:
JAY123.

I don't anyone is saying you can't become a domesticated installer in under 12months.
A very old friend of mine was a leisure centre manager for over 20 years and at the age of 40 decided he had enough quit and went on one of those tradeskills electrician courses and became a qualified Niceic DI in under 6 weeks.
Cost him about £5000 but he now runs his own DI business and has been quite successful.
He had a mortgage and 2 young kids at the time.
If you have the balls to do it then fair enough....

if you worked along side a good sparks for around 6 months doing re-wires etc you could probably learn just enough to go it alone after that.
but there will always be something that throws you , like micc you might not have dealt with before or a complex heating system you have not seen before. only time can learn you

Before you ask Dorspark as to why I disagreed with your post, it wasn't personal, but I take issue with your statement "So 1 year 20 years" is dismissive it takes more that getting the circuitry correct, experience give you clues on how to approach a rewire, or any job come to that, clues like how a building is built, how to get over differing construction methods, so think again Mate. I have seen many a house rewire done by people who think they are competent, and to be honest most of the work is not up to best practice.
I Concur. I didn’t quite mean a full knowlegible spark but one that will do exactly as per the regs the same as everyone else, has an electrician to work with, which is a plus. Hours of practical driving for a 20 minute test, then you learn how to drive. Same principle.

I have been in the trade for 15 years and only have half the knowledge some of these old boys have.

Its progressive learning, 3 year apprentiship with another 2 years on site experiance as a minimum for me, these domestic installer courses set you up to fight for basement jobs at basement prices with other electricians with little experiance.

There are exceptions, but 99 percent are just dragging our trade down.

At 38 its a tough call but I can understand that you are bored in your current role tied to a desk that you hate. Hopefully others on here can advise you on what route to take, I moved in a different direction a good few years back as I saw other opportunities.

JAY123.
Gave you a neg as well as some of the all singing time served sparks really had to work, hit the industrial side of things then you really do learn your skills.

To be honest I think I could train someone how to rewire a house within a week ;o))))

if you worked along side a good sparks for around 6 months doing re-wires etc you could probably learn just enough to go it alone after that.
but there will always be something that throws you , like micc you might not have dealt with before or a complex heating system you have not seen before. only time can learn you

I agree with you. To be honest there a very few sparks now that can do pyro and it would never be used in a domestic scenario. T&E and a bit of SWA sometimes is generally all a domestic spark will have to deal with. I also know apprenticed sparks who can't do S & Y plans and non electrically qualified plumbers who can.

Reply to Route to becoming certified electrification. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock