Discuss Rules/Curtesy on back boxes (new home issue) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

recently moved into a new home and took off a faceplate to check for insulation. Not sure what the wiring was, but is it normal for the box to be wrapped in duct tape? also, there was no wire into the earth but I figure it could be to do with the fact it isn't an electrical socket? (the 2 cables are both coax) I would have assumed either TV Antenna or DAB/FM but not sure. Although the TV socket is about 50cm away so I guess not.

Only asking due to issues with the home as a whole, and now have no trust in the electrical work. We had a buzzing sound on our light switches sometimes too...

Attachments

• Rules/Curtesy on back boxes (new home issue) 20200626_111528 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200626_111528.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 78
Coax doesn't require any earth etc the current is normally so small and not part of the electrical circuit and should be separated but I have had shocks of coax and phono - if your a bit of a A/V buff you might use some kind of functional earth but I don't think this should run to the MET.

That's new to you not brand new, as it looks like the walls have been plaster skimmed with the box faceplate on?
Doesn't need earthing there's no mains in it.
Looks like Tv aerial or cable or satellite but the 2 cables also look to be joined so the T.V position may have been changed from original wiring and extended to the new position.

Cable on the right could have done with a grommet in the box but also looks to be plastered in so it's unlikely to move against the hole edge.

If light switches are Dimmers, you may well get buzzing.

Can't explain the duct tape unless it was put over the box before plastering to keep plaster out, but as above it looks like the cover was on when plastered.

That's new to you not brand new, as it looks like the walls have been plaster skimmed with the box faceplate on?
Doesn't need earthing there's no mains in it.
Looks like Tv aerial or cable or satellite but the 2 cables also look to be joined so the T.V position may have been changed from original wiring and extended to the new position.

Cable on the right could have done with a grommet in the box but also looks to be plastered in so it's unlikely to move against the hole edge.

If light switches are Dimmers, you may well get buzzing.

Thanks for your response,

In answer to the question, the house was brand new, dont work in building but would that be abnormal? We had lots of issues with plastering so they may have re-plastered over the box?
Also yes thanks for the thing with the TV cables, I would say thats definitely the case! Thanks again.

And no, not a dimmer switch a standard light switch, builder had electrician come round and said that the wire was loose...

Looks like there are 2 red rawl plugs but no screws fitted?

They went to the trouble of drilling and plugging though. Might as well have binged a couple of screws in!

If that is intended for radio frequencies then it is a pretty shocking way of connecting two runs of coax cable. Certainly fails on the "constant impedance" front.

But as other have said, it is safe if a bit ugly/crap work.

Getting worse as well!

surely not , it’s been 10 years since I did big new build sites but it was rough as ---- then

I remember one young electrician drilled through a cable by mistake putting up metal capping , it would have taken him 20 minutes to remove the damaged cable and pull in a new piece. The gezzer running the job told him to just twist the cores together , wrap in Tape and put the capping back on.

absolutely true story

Reply to Rules/Curtesy on back boxes (new home issue) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock