Discuss Running wiring into chimney breast in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

HeathenDominion

Hi all,

Figured the DIY area was best for this. I completed my electrical qualifications last year but as I've found a new job I like while doing them I've not gone professional so have little real world experience.

Bought our first house at the beginning of the year and quickly found out the previous owner has done a lot of DIY electrical work. To say it's dangerous is an understatement (wrong size cables, runs under carpets compete with live cable not even terminated, spurs off spurs. It's a complete shitstorm) so I've started pulling it out room by room and replacing it all.

I'm working in the living room atm and we've had the fireplace ripped out with the idea of turning the chimney breast into a kind of entertainment centre. I want to install two double sockets in the back of the fireplace opening to power everything (we're plastering it all and adding shelves) but I've no idea about the best wiring run to power them.

I was thinking about just chasing around the side and across the front into the opening (at same height as other sockets in the room) but not completely clear if I can do this in the regs?

My other option is the shortest run by drilling through the side of the chimney breast where my wall chase meets the corner. Problem is, if I do this, I'll be drilling uncomfortably close to the gas pipe (gas is properly capped off but the pipe is still charged) and I don't think I'll be able to get my drill close enough to the wall to avoid a tight "in and out" bend in the wire. Could get myself a flexi bit if this will help but wanted to ask peoples opinion on if this is the best option first?

Any help/advice appreciated as I'm completely stuck for the best way to continue with this!

Haha most probably would ;) The idea is to get some room back. It's not the biggest living room and we want to mount the tv on the chimney breast and have everything tucked away underneath so we can get the tv stand off the floor and make a play area for our daughter. Plus I've seen a few done and they look great.

Hi,i would measure and drill halfway,from each side,and lose the inset,midpoint of the cheek.

I would strongly suggest,capping the gas line,where it branches from the feed line.

You can then confidently install your new Dancette.

Thanks PEG that's really helpful!

Shows my lack of experience but I've never known about making a dancette. Just looked it up and seems exactly what I need to do to get around my problem.

I get that most people would probably want a fire in their fireplace but the house is so well insulated I'd maybe use it a couple of times a year max so would rather use the space for something more productive. Plus, I can't install my media server and smart home hubs in a logburner ;)

Edit: gas has already been capped off by a registered gas engineer when we had the fire removed, but only after the isolator elbow which is below where I need to drill. I'll look at getting it capped off much earlier in the run before carrying on.

Reactions: PEG
It sounds petty,but there are several good reasons,to use this opportunity to remove the fitting. If your sub-floor access is ok,it may be easy to post a GS kid under,and sort.
Mine were sweated poorly,on to lead,and the above floor fitting,is a magnet for messers...even if it turns out to be set of bored kids,looping a hammock rope,over a chair and securing it to said fitting :) (actual occurrence)

Reply to Running wiring into chimney breast in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net